Talk

Advanced search

Tudor Hall/ Teddies/ St Bedes/ Cranleigh/ Epson

(14 Posts)
sofato5miles Tue 02-Oct-18 14:19:59

Hi.

Our plans have changed drastically and our DD who is be year 9 next year is now likely to go boarding school. We live abroad at the moment.

DD is not terribly academic but has a great work ethic and is great at drama and sport. She is popular with boys and girls. She also is quite young for her age, no boobs etc yet.

I will fly over with her next month but these are the ones friends have recommended. Any of you lovely ladies have any advice?

OP’s posts: |
bookmum08 Tue 02-Oct-18 14:32:11

Tudor Hall beat my school at a hockey match once. My PE teacher said "well they play hockey 8 days a week". Although this was in about 1987. Not much help now though!

AppleKatie Tue 02-Oct-18 14:33:32

That’s a good description of the Tudor Hall approach imo. They are kept busy- like ridiculously busy all the time.

It’s a wonderful school though. Really happy.

AppleKatie Tue 02-Oct-18 14:34:13

I hear good things about Teddies too.

Don’t know much about the others.

ifonly4 Tue 02-Oct-18 15:02:34

My DD is in Sixth Form at Teddies and loves it there and I'm sure you're aware do drama and sport. It's well known for it's pastoral care and we received great support when DD had problems transferring from state to boarding. Like any school, there are some extremely bright children but also ones that aren't quite such high achievers. They are very approachable. Even if you've missed an open day, I'm sure they'll happily show you around facilities. Obviously my DD is a bit older, but she has friends who are girls and boys.

sofato5miles Wed 03-Oct-18 11:18:56

Thanks for all your input. Just need to call and arrange the (rather terrifying) visits..

northlaine Wed 03-Oct-18 15:48:16

I have friends with DCs at Cranleigh and hear nothing but great things about it - some are weekly boarding even though the parental home is very close because it's so much fun apparently. I live nearer to St Bede's and hear good things about that too - mainly the sport side of things!

northlaine Wed 03-Oct-18 15:49:26

I should say that the DCs at Cranleigh are probably average academically and very sporty!

BubblesBuddy Wed 03-Oct-18 16:03:28

I would have a look at Queenswood School at Brookmans Park near Potters Bar in Hertfordshire. It’s not hugely academic (high flyers and average ability) but it’s very sporty (23 tennis courts) and a new indoor sports facility is being built. Very good at hockey too.

It’s noted in the Good Schools Guide for excellence at drama. Drama there is first class. There are Drama and Sports scholars so take a look.

sofato5miles Wed 03-Oct-18 18:59:44

Thank you!

Grace2000 Fri 24-May-19 21:55:31

As a former pupil of Tudor Hall school, I strongly advise against it. Whilst some teachers were good (biology teachers were lovely) the majority really did not care and seemed like they were there for the money. The headmistress (Ms Griffiths) had absolutely no control, authority or compassion, the pastoral care in particular was incredibly lacking (there was a very high number of girls with issues such as anorexia, which the school did nothing to treat despite being aware of it) and there was so much alcohol and cigarettes. I essentially had to teach myself the whole a-level syllabus from the text book and I remember many other girls complaining of the same. I regret going to Tudor. I was enticed by the idea of a girls boarding school in a beautiful area of the country side (which it is), but unfortunately that was the only thing that Tudor Hall has going for it.

Dancingdreamer Sat 25-May-19 14:38:20

If you are looking in the Oxfordshire area, perhaps you could also add Bloxham to your list? The parents I have met with DC there seem happy with the school. Otherwise the two coed schools I would recommend with good girls sports are Repton and Bromsgrove. They both offer drama scholarships although I think you may be too late to apply for these.

Jossina Sun 26-May-19 06:25:29

Bede's would be my first choice. The teachers are fantastic and it's among the top for value-added. It seems to offer every activity ever invented and does them all well. Pastoral care is great and the location can't be beat and is beautiful. Children are encouraged to be themselves and it is more tolerant than other schools.

Takeittotheboss Tue 28-May-19 21:25:01

My penny's worth is to second looking at Bloxham (although not really full boarding). Repton and Shrewsbury both great co-ed schools with good sport and drama.(Actually full boarding).
If a confident child then Teddies could suit, but would avoid Tudor Hall unless she's a topdog character.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in