Talk

Advanced search

Year 11 support thread

(6 Posts)
hickory77 Wed 26-Sep-18 15:13:25

Apologies if one already exists. Thought us year 11 parents could do with support...

Needing advice for DS just started Year 11. He's so unmotivated and is unaware of how important this year is. Numerous pieces of homework to be done but just keeps telling me it's okay even though I know work has been handed in incomplete.

How much homework a night do your DC do? Won't accept any offers of help. He's always done the bare minimum despite teachers saying he needs to go into more detail/revise more/write more.

He says I'm nagging him and it's counter productive. Not sure what to do for best. Can't do nothing. Grades slipped in the summer exams but have been fairly okay up till then.

I think as the workload ramps up, he is coping less well. Won't admit it. He needs to get organised, make revision notes, revise effectively. Anyone in the same boat? At a loss how to approach this.

OP’s posts: |
Limelighthydrangea Fri 28-Sep-18 10:29:16

I have similar frustrations, my son is bright and works hard in school but I feel like I’m having to constantly remind him and help (nag!) him to get organised at home and to do all those things you mentioned, revision notes etc. I also feel keep going on can be counterproductive and makes him defensive. He has mocks in November and part of me thinks I should step back and see how he does and try to let him find his own motivation..maybe if they didn’t go well it might make him get more organised and if they go well, then maybe I should trust that he is doing ok. They do put a lot of pressure on them at school and are constantly reminding them that the year is important so I don’t want to be doing that at home too.

TeenTimesTwo Fri 28-Sep-18 10:43:51

OP. I think you need this thread: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary/3349548-Are-we-ready-for-a-GCSE-s-2019-thread smile

hickory77 Fri 28-Sep-18 18:23:19

Limelighthydrangea - Thank you for replying. That is exactly how I feel too! Our DS sound so similar.

Sorry, as I said I guessed there would be another thread.......will head on over there!

OP’s posts: |
AtiaoftheJulii Fri 28-Sep-18 20:36:55

He has mocks in November and part of me thinks I should step back and see how he does and try to let him find his own motivation

Why does the other part of you think this would be a bad idea? Sounds completely sensible to me.

Limelighthydrangea Fri 28-Sep-18 21:48:01

Atia, I guess I just want him to do well, and tend to want to get him focused and organised,which does not seem to be the case at the moment, and so I am reluctant to step back. This is also because I want to make sure he has a good balance with school work and following other interests, which does require using his time more effectively so neither suffers.

Thanks for your reply.. like OP I’m going to go to the other thread now.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in