Talk

Advanced search

Arrrggg book recommendation for Y8 about 'conflict'

(13 Posts)
Goingonandonandon Mon 17-Sep-18 19:28:27

DS is a good reader and would like to read book for his school project about WW1, 2 or the Cold War. The theme is 'conflict'. The problem is that he has already read (and doesn't want to do his project on ) War Horse, Goodnight Mr Tom, the Machine Gunners, Private Peaceful. He doesn't want to do it on the Boy in the Striped Pyjama as he says loads of kids will choose that book. I don't think he wants to read Anne Frank (he tried it in the past and gave up).

Any recommendations??

OP’s posts: |
tinytemper66 Mon 17-Sep-18 19:30:28

Another Michael Morpurgo book-A medal for Leroy about a black soldier in WW1 and how he didn't get the medal he deserved because he was black.
Lovely based on Lt Walter Tull.

Noeuf Mon 17-Sep-18 19:37:33

How I live now

Noeuf Mon 17-Sep-18 19:38:46

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Live-Now-Meg-Rosoff/dp/0141318015/ref=nodl#productDescriptionn_secondaryvieww_div_1537209496262

Cismyfatarse1 Mon 17-Sep-18 19:43:00

All Quiet on the Western Front.

ARiverInEgypt Mon 17-Sep-18 19:55:22

This looks good, and I don’t think anyone else will pick it.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomb_(book)
If you want to go retro then maybe The Cruel Sea by Nicholas Monsarrat: again nobody else will do it. I’m assuming Biggles is out of the question grin.
The WWII era Just Williams or Noel Streatfeilds would be an interesting left-field choice but probably not what teacher is looking for.

Witchend Mon 17-Sep-18 20:23:04

Biggles is good and he can choose WW1 WW2 or afterwards when Biggles is "in intelligence".

Another thought is the film "Oh! What a Lovely War"

When the Siren Wailed by Noel Streatfeild is a slightly different evacuee story.

Or if he likes something more factual what about "Mr Punch's History of the Great War".

The Chalet School in Exile covers some tough topics.

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit is a fiction, but also Judith Kerr's autobiography. There are 3 in the series and #2 (Bombs on Aunt Dainty, I think) is when they've escaped to London during the Blitz. #3 is very adult and after the wars, so don't let him read that unless you've checked it and are happy.

BubblesBuddy Mon 17-Sep-18 20:30:59

Would he be interested in reading WW1 poetry? Wilfred Owen etc.? Most wouldn’t choose this and it would be a mature choice. Oh What a Lovely War is best seen as a play I think.

Even watching Dads Army gives a feel for WW2.

BubblesBuddy Mon 17-Sep-18 20:33:30

Das Boot about the German U boat is one of the best WW2 books ever written. The film in 1981 was amazing. So tense! Google it. No-one would choose that either!

ElizabethinherGermanGarden Mon 17-Sep-18 20:33:35

@ARiverInEgypt I second that suggestion - a great read and very informative. Bang on the money age-wise, too. I also recommend the YA version of Unbroken, made into a film a couple of years ago.

Racecardriver Mon 17-Sep-18 20:35:13

Slaughterhouse 5 is a good war novel for that age group but I'm not sure it's necessary conflicty. Or maybe it is in a way.

JassyRadlett Mon 17-Sep-18 20:35:39

The Silver Sword is pretty amazing if he’s not too old for it?

Foxglovesandprimroses Mon 17-Sep-18 20:38:25

Andi's War by Billi Rosen is v good. About a girl and her brother affected by the Greek civil war that followed WW11.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in