Advanced search

Would you tell your dc's secondary school if your dc had been in A&E over the weekend?

(16 Posts)
Neolara Sun 09-Sep-18 13:09:21

Dc has an accident yesterday that resulted in a visit to A&E. Lucky escape and no real damage but will need to see emergency dentist in the week. In primary school I would have mentioned it to the office / class teacher, but dc has just joined year 7 and not sure of secondary protocol.

OP’s posts: |
langkaw Sun 09-Sep-18 13:15:25

Yes definitely. Just leave a message with the school office and they head of year can call you back if necessary.

RedSkyLastNight Sun 09-Sep-18 13:39:00

I wouldn't unless there is something you expect the school to do in response to the accident e.g. he can't write too much as hurt wrist. But even in these cases I'd suggest writing a note in his diary he can show individual class teachers.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Sun 09-Sep-18 13:41:27

I’d put a note in his planner that he can show to his form tutor.

megletthesecond Sun 09-Sep-18 13:42:50


NoLeslie Sun 09-Sep-18 13:43:20

I'd email the form teacher if it is likely to affect him at school. But not if he is ok now. Hope it's not too serious.

greencatbluecat Sun 09-Sep-18 13:45:34

I would consider writing a note for him (in his planner if he has one) along the lines of 'DS has accident yesterday, which was treated at A&E, so he may have a problem with xyz'

Meet0nTheIedge Sun 09-Sep-18 13:45:40

I'd email the form tutor.

butterflymum Sun 09-Sep-18 13:48:50

If the school has a resident nurse, a brief note to them would be a good idea. If not, then form tutor or head of year.

Some schools have protocols in place for restricting the pupil in taking part in PE/Games for x amount of sessions following particular injuries eg concussion, broken bones etc., whether the injury occurred at school or elsewhere.

3teens2cats Sun 09-Sep-18 13:51:09

I would if he is likely to be in any pain, could bleed, can't take part in certain activities. In these circumstances I emailed the main admin address and they forwarded it to the relevant teachers. If they needed more info they can then call you.

RedSkyLastNight Sun 09-Sep-18 13:54:09

This thread also shows that what you do is very dependent on your school's normal communication methods.
At my DC's school you can't e-mail individual teachers and if I e-mailed the general school address it might not get looked at for several days.
Likewise ringing the school office would most likely mean leaving a message and it would take a while for them to track down someone specific to speak to me and again potentially several days for them to ring back !!
Best method for non urgent info passing here is note in school diary, but I guess not all schools have them or necessarily use them that way.

LoniceraJaponica Mon 10-Sep-18 08:25:57

If it is going to impact his/her day at school then I would.

NoLeslie Mon 10-Sep-18 11:57:12

RedSky I thought that too, amazing how much schools vary. Seems mind boggling to think of my child having to take in a note in a book. Email is so much better. And as for a school nurse... I am middle aged and they didn't exist then!!

LoniceraJaponica Mon 10-Sep-18 13:08:27

The problem with email is that teachers/form tutors don't always have time to read them before school.

On more than one occasion I have emailed school to inform them that DD would be absent, then had a text mid morning from school asking why DD was absent.

Under these circumstances I would take a two pronged approach with email and a note.

BackforGood Wed 12-Sep-18 00:20:58

Probably too late now grin, but for anyone else wondering the same, I'd go for note in the planner too, then, the pupil has it for all the staff they come across (if needed) rather than relying on a) the form teacher having chance to reas e-mails before school and then b) them passing it on to all other staff who might need to know).

Jux Wed 12-Sep-18 00:24:07

Only if he's likely to be in pain, or is likely to show signs of shock or something.

If I wanted the school to be aware that there may issues they would have to deal with, then yes. Otherwise no.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in