Talk

Advanced search

Changing school houses

(8 Posts)
norwegianhandcream Thu 06-Sep-18 17:59:02

Has anyone successfully changed House during the school year?

I have namechanged and I absolutely cannot go into specific details as this will be incredibly outing. Apologies.

If your child was put into one school house or class away from all their friends, did you successfully appeal and get the child moved? If so, how did you word it to the Head of House / Headteacher?

I'm talking about the type of house where they spend most of their time. The only contact with other members of their year group is in lessons, games, assembly and school trips.

If you couldn't get your child moved, did their existing friendships survive?

Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
noblegiraffe Thu 06-Sep-18 18:03:02

Surely lessons, games, assembly and school trips is where they spend most of their school time? confused

TheGirlWhoLived Thu 06-Sep-18 18:05:13

Is this in a boarding scenario, or just normal school?

titchy Thu 06-Sep-18 18:05:28

Are you talking about boarding school? I can't imagine any other school having time other than for games, lessons etc.

norwegianhandcream Thu 06-Sep-18 18:05:31

Not if they're not in the same teaching class nor games team sad

TeenTimesTwo Thu 06-Sep-18 18:41:39

Sounds like my boarding school 35 years ago.
So I'll answer on that basis. smile

In my year one girl moved houses about half way through the school. Evidently there must have been problems of one sort or another that enabled the requested move. You could also be 'de-housed' to split up trouble makers or to give someone a fresh start. Again very rare, but someone was moved into our house.

If this is a situation where a pupil has moved up from a single 'junior house' into separate houses and has been split up, then this might well have been done for good reason.

If this is a move from a feeder school then again if they were given friendship info it could well have been done for good reason.

I think you would be best off talking up the chance to make new friends, and the possibility to see during break, lessons, and after lunch. Only if they really can't settle and make friends after a term or two would I think moving houses could even become a consideration.

If this isn't a boarding school then I can't think what the issue is.

norwegianhandcream Thu 06-Sep-18 21:39:08

The houses are like Hogwarts so there is no mixing at break and lunchtime. There are no friendship issues.

Looks like a No then.

elliejjtiny Thu 06-Sep-18 21:54:21

My dc has houses at school. I would think an in year move would be allowed as long as it was for a good reason. They usually ask for volunteers to move at the end of each year because they keep siblings in the same house and sometimes the numbers become uneven.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in