Talk

Advanced search

National Insurance - how?

(16 Posts)
stringsthatsing Sun 05-Aug-18 17:44:55

Sitting discussing this at the moment. DD is 16, online it says that before your 16th birthday you should receive a National Insurance Card through the post but we've received nothing. This doesn't surprise me as we have moved house 3 times since she was born so therefore school as well. She is also at an independent school so not registered for state education either.
How do they find out where she is? Do we have to contact someone about it? Not sure what we need to do!

OP’s posts: |
DrMadelineMaxwell Sun 05-Aug-18 17:48:43

Google their number and get her to call them to request the letter be resent to your address.

MongerTruffle Sun 05-Aug-18 17:51:58

It should be sent to the address where you are registered for Child Benefit. If you have not registered for it (regardless of whether you actually claim it), you have to call the helpline and request a number.

(NI cards don’t exist anymore.)

stringsthatsing Sun 05-Aug-18 18:04:06

Strange- we have still be receiving child benefit where we live now. A good point, thanks as I had been wondering how they would track her!

stringsthatsing Sun 05-Aug-18 18:05:26

So how long post 16th birthday would you give them before ringing?

mumsneedwine Sun 05-Aug-18 18:09:52

My DDs both cane 2 months before their 16th birthdays. Can't get a job without one

MarchingFrogs Sun 05-Aug-18 18:51:30

Contact info gdpd:
www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/national-insurance-numbers

DS2 got gg a couple of weeks ago, nearer three months than two before his 16th birthday. My memory is that the other two didn't get theirs until closer to the event.

AlexanderHamilton Sun 05-Aug-18 18:55:53

Dd was 16 lastOctober & still hasn’t had one. I have had a letter about child benefit continuing.

It’s not true you can’t get a job without one though. Since RTI you just input a new starters details into the payroll software & if you haven’t got their NI number it will generate it.

Floralnomad Sun 05-Aug-18 19:00:06

My dd never got one , we didn’t claim CB and she was home educated , she rang the appropriate number and they sent her a letter , it was very simple .

PattiStanger Sun 05-Aug-18 19:03:46

It take about 30 seconds to ring and ask for one, they have 100000s to issue every year, there are bound to be people who get missed or whose letters get lost in the post.

stringsthatsing Sun 05-Aug-18 22:28:18

Thanks for the knowledge- we'll be on the phone tomorrow x

Walkingdeadfangirl Sun 05-Aug-18 22:34:58

They do not send out 'cards' anymore. Its just a bit of paper with the number on it.

If you dont get one just ring up (google the number) and they send it out. Just done it and was sorted very easily.

Starlight345 Sun 05-Aug-18 22:38:17

I have my son’s Ni number as he is on flat. Not helpful to your situation but it will of been allocated

MarchingFrogs Mon 06-Aug-18 06:44:59

Contact info here (not gdpdgrin) :
www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/national-insurance-numbers

ReservoirDogs Mon 06-Aug-18 13:34:10

DS is at an independent school. We don't qualify for child benefit but he still got his NI number through a couple of months before his birthday.

Pythonesque Tue 07-Aug-18 00:00:22

Agree, my daughter's came through last month, 3 months or so ahead of her birthday. Also at independent school.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in