Talk

Advanced search

GCSE Computer Science

(8 Posts)
Svemoh Sat 30-Jun-18 16:41:38

Hello ... Need to clarify a doubt ... If a student isn't been granted Computer Science at Year 10 GCSE level by his school , would it be permissible for him to opt CS at A- Levels later in Sixth form ... Or is it Now or Never ?

OP’s posts: |
PostNotInHaste Sat 30-Jun-18 16:43:59

Yes they can do it at 6th form, we are in the same position - apart from not running at DS’s school due to lack of numbers so I’m not convinced it will run for sixth form. Could be wrong but I think a lot of the first year of A level recaps what the GCSE covers.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 30-Jun-18 17:58:52

You don't even need A-Level to do it at uni currently good maths and physics will get you in.

Oratory1 Sat 30-Jun-18 18:04:37

Yep maths is more useful for CS study

Notevilstepmother Sat 30-Jun-18 18:07:12

I’d suggest doing some private study on the Internet. Code academy for example.

Davros Sat 30-Jun-18 19:13:43

DD is doing CS for GCSE and it seems quite tough. I'm not sure how easy it would be to do A'Level without going through that process

TheThirdOfHerName Sat 30-Jun-18 21:37:04

At my sons' school, you can do Computer Science A-level without the GCSE (but they ask for a high grade in Maths).

I don't know of any universities that insist on Computer Science A-level as an entry requirement for a Computer Science degree.

Svemoh Sun 01-Jul-18 11:33:50

Thank you ladies for the most valuable insights ... would help my son a lot to devise and decide accordingly

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in