Advanced search

Possible to retake year 11?

(10 Posts)
WidoWanky Fri 15-Jun-18 23:36:32

Due to illness, my dc has been off school practically since december. Only about 3 exam papers were sat in different subjects, which will not amount to a grade. Re taking year 11 at the school has been mentioned but i dont think the school are keen. they have been fully informed with medical details, health workers have sent over letters confirming illness and state of treatment. I dont know what to do. High results were predicted all round but its all gone to pot.

The local college was the next step, but with no exams, they wont take my dc. School say exams can be taken, but no one can tell me where.

Really dont want to go down home schooling route, as i am out at work. Paying for tutors could be an option i suppose, but that really does depend on how much. I am a LP on min wage so funds are limited.

Does anyone have any advice for me please? We are hopeful treatment should be all but done by sept so no hinderences bar the emotional ones.

OP’s posts: |
Twick13 Sat 16-Jun-18 07:37:35

Where abouts in the country are you?
Tutorial colleges offer 1 year GCSE,s at a price
Some private schools such as Rochester Independent and Mill Hill international do. The latter aiming at overseas pupils who need to get GCSE,s prior to A level.
Current school if state are probably not sure how the funding will work. If it’s a private school I would assume back hearing him won’t be a big problem unless courses have. Changed

sashh Sat 16-Jun-18 08:31:23

Is your child still ill? A medical PRU may be an option. And should have been before now.

Now PRU is often seen as for badly behaved children but medical PRU are different. My council steps in with PRU after 2 weeks absence from school.

Link to the one near me so you can see what they are like.

The school is probably thinking about its status in the league tables rather than your child which stinks.

Basically your child is entitled to an education and you have entrusted the government to provide, they have not done that.

I think you need to talk to your local council.

WidoWanky Sat 16-Jun-18 11:47:14

Thank you for your replies.

I have looked at the medical PRU and contacted the local council. hopefully they will get back to me soon. They were certainly on the case regarding attendance figures and threatening fines until they received medical proof!

I am disappointed. I understand the school are looking out for themselves but the college no longer want to accept a kid with no exams. I could cry.

Within hours you have given me the advice and hope i have been asking for, for months.

Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
hennipenni Sat 16-Jun-18 14:25:46

DM me if you like, my DD missed the last 2 terms of year 11 due to being seriously ill. We were advised by school that repeating year 11 wouldn’t be an option as it would have been too much work for her and they couldn’t offer her the one 2 one suppport she now needs.
Instead she went to college, only able to do one GCSE (in agreement with her neurologist as she requires on going medical treatment). They were happy to do this once we’d found a little loop hole enabling them to accept her for only one GCSE and without any other qualifications.

sashh Sat 16-Jun-18 22:10:49

Don't get too hung up on the college, if they accepted him it would be for a level 1 course. That would be 1 year of total boredom. Then a level 2 course would be 2 years.

Glad you have made contact with the council. Remember they are at fault, they should have been creating provision and they need to pick up the slack now. That could be a PFU or a tutor or distance learning or a combination.

Glad we have been of some use.

WidoWanky Sat 16-Jun-18 22:28:57

Would it be unreasonable of me to hope the school will allow a retake of year 11 there? Or is it really mainly about the money with them? Its a very local academy with an outstanding ofstead report.

On the upside, i emailed the council today and had a reply 10 mins later with the name and number of who to speak to on monday morning.

I am feeling much more positive. ☺

OP’s posts: |
Jackyjill6 Sun 17-Jun-18 08:03:16

No it's not unreasonable for school to allow your DC to repeat a year. It would be at the discretion of the head.

However some sixth form colleges offer a programme of study which covers GCSE Maths English and one year BTECs which will get them on to level 3 courses for the following year.

What does your DC want to do? If they hadn't been ill, would they have been looking at vocational courses or 'traditional' A levels? Have a look at the BTEC level 3 courses to see what's available.

WidoWanky Tue 26-Jun-18 15:18:15

The council have replied. As of last week the exams finished and so has his statutory education. AKA Please dont contact us again.

Well thats ok then😠

OP’s posts: |
Canestpasmonnom Wed 27-Jun-18 20:11:18

I am sorry that your DC has been ill. It sounds like you have been really let down by school and LA in what must have been a difficult time.

Have you investigated getting an assessment for an Education, Health & Care Plan? I would really recommend talking to IPSEA about the feasibility of this for someone in your DC's situation. IPSEA is a charity that provides support on educational matters for children and young people with special educational needs. An EHCP is a statutory plan for children and young people aged 0-25 years who need additional support to access education- including those whose barriers to accessing education are physical illness, anxiety etc.

Info here:

IPSEA have a helpline - you have to book an appointment, it can be hard to get a slot but worth persisting.

Getting an EHCP can be a hard slog but it is worth looking at. What I am not sure about is how it works when education has been missed due to illness in the past - but sure IPSEA can advise.

Also look at another charity called SOSSEN - especially about the LA's failure to provide or plan for your DC's education - (helpline is term-time only).

There are posters with experience of getting an EHCP on the SEN Children section on Mumsnet.

Also, there are charities or organisations in each area to support children or young people who need additional support to access education. If you google SENDIASS and Local Offer you should find out which organisation covers your area. They can vary in quality but some people find them helpful. Not quite sure what age group they cover. There are also advocacy groups like Educational Equality.

Good luck. x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in