Talk

Advanced search

GCSE Maths

(4 Posts)
Rainydaydog Wed 13-Jun-18 09:10:21

A friend is taking GCSE maths as an adult learner as she didnt take it when younger. As it was only a year long course they only take the intermediate exam, top grade you can get is a 5. My friend is about average at maths the only reason she didn't take it when younger was due to personal reasons, not ability. She has worked extremely hard and done all the classes, read everything she can. She had plenty of time to revise as it is the only exam she is doing this year. When taking practice papers she did very well. She even took some of the papers where you can get a top grade 9 and managed a good score.

She says the actual exams have been extremely difficult and included subjects not covered in lesson or her revision guides.
Has anyone else or their dc done maths this year? How did you find it? I'm a bit worried as dd starts her exams next year and it sounds like they have been very difficult, even on the intermediate level.

Mumto3teenagekids Wed 13-Jun-18 09:25:19

My DD has just done Edexcel IGCSE Maths and found it very difficult and harder than she was expecting. She goes to a selective girls school and apparently lots of the top set girls were in tears after paper 2 last week, I've also heard that this was a common thread at a lot of schools. So it sounds to me that it has got harder this year- hopefully those grade boundaries will shift! My DD wants to do A level so needs at least a 7.

catslife Wed 13-Jun-18 09:27:52

* As it was only a year long course they only take the intermediate exam, top grade you can get is a 5.*
You haven't said which exam board your friend was taking.
However for the new 9-1 GCSE Maths there isn't an intermediate paper there are 2 tiers Foundation (grades 1 to 5) and Higher (grades 4 to 9).
Both the Foundation and Higher courses are really designed to be 2 year courses rather than one year.

Seeline Wed 13-Jun-18 09:30:55

Were her revision guides the correct one for her course. Certain boards cover different things, although the basics should be the same.
Maybe it was just a case that in the stress of the moment, she wasn't recognising which 'topic' to use for each question.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: