Talk

Advanced search

Year 7 end of year results

(24 Posts)
Loopyloo97 Wed 23-May-18 18:24:10

Hi my DD is currently in year 7 and in independent education
She has had a few of her test results beck did the end of the year I’m not sure how to feel she got
Maths 49%
French 56%
Geography 46%
Science 52%
I know that the tests were a step up this year but I’m so worried that she’s struggling
I have emailed the teachers to find out the averages

noblegiraffe Wed 23-May-18 18:25:42

Until you know how everyone else got on those results are worse than useless.

Wolfiefan Wed 23-May-18 18:28:45

Yep you can't know from a percentage how well or badly she did.

Loopyloo97 Wed 23-May-18 18:29:23

Well thanks for that comment Noble giraffe , i was looking for a bit of support not useless remarks

noblegiraffe Wed 23-May-18 18:31:04

What sort of support? No one can tell you anything either way about those results.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Wed 23-May-18 18:31:29

noblegiraffe is a teacher, iirc? Useless remarks indeed 😳

TeenTimesTwo Wed 23-May-18 18:47:13

Well, personally I would expect end of year tests to be set so that the average top set would get say 80% (and top of top set 90%+).

But I agree, you need to ask the school what it means, and ask your DD whether she feels she is struggling. Was this a selective school, and if so what she tutored to get in? Where do you 'expect' her to be?

KittyVonCatsington Wed 23-May-18 18:53:30

I don’t think it’s useless to ask and I’m a teacher too. I don’t think they would have written a year 7 paper (that’s any of her teachers) that they thought was unachievable given they have taught the year. It’s not like we’re talking GCSE/A Level mocks.
You did the right thing in contacting the school and hopefully you’ll just get reassurance that she is doing fine.

Eolian Wed 23-May-18 18:58:03

confused noblegiraffe is not criticising you, she's saying the marks aren't much use on their own. Presumably you agree with that, as you are feeling the need to ask the teachers for clarification on how well/badly your daughter has actually done?

Mariamerryweather123 Wed 23-May-18 19:59:22

The year average for each exam may well be given in the end of year report. That’s what happens at my DD’s (independent) school.

Yvest Wed 23-May-18 20:02:53

I don’t think noblegiraffe did anything wrong. The results mean nothing without any context. If the highest in the class was 60% and half the class got below 40% then the results are good. If the rest of the class got in the 70’s and 80’s then they’re not good. You need to have more information before making a judgement and asking the school is the right thing to do.

TeenTimesTwo Wed 23-May-18 20:05:56

When DD has tests I always ask her for top, bottom and rough average as otherwise I have no idea how she's got on. I don't even know if she gets the same test as those in the sets either side of her.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Wed 23-May-18 20:09:52

Op has already emailed her child’s teachers. Asking complete strangers for their opinions and then calling their thoughts on the matter “useless” is just plain rude.

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 23-May-18 20:18:59

OP is clearly a newbie to the education section if she doesn't know that not only is noblegiraffe a teacher but also one of the most knowledgeable and helpful pksters on this site.

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 23-May-18 20:19:21

Posterss

OddBoots Wed 23-May-18 20:21:58

There's no frame of reference there, your Y7 will be taking different tests to Y7 children in other schools and there is no range of results for the class/year at your child's school. I wouldn't be happy with a school sending home such useless information.

Loopyloo97 Wed 23-May-18 20:26:06

Thankyou to those of you that were understanding , mumsnet is renowned for over opinionated individuals it does make me laugh iamagreyhoundhearmeroar

Sugarhunnyicedtea Wed 23-May-18 20:26:39

My son got 31% in a science test (mid year 8) he was devastated. Spoke to the teacher as we were really concerned. He got the highest mark in his year by 4% - a percentage on its own means nothing without a reference point, they were doing year 9 tests to 'see how they got on'

Loopyloo97 Wed 23-May-18 20:28:59

Thankyou sugarhunnyiced tea

TeenTimesTwo Wed 23-May-18 20:31:29

It's all in the wording OP. smile

If you had said ...

My y7 DD got her test results today in the 40-60% range. I have no idea what that means and have emailed the teachers to see if they think she is struggling. Does anyone else get frustrated that schools send home meaningless data?

... then you would have had loads of sympathy and would have been regaled with similar experiences.

But the wording sounded like you were asking is my child struggling? which of course no one here can answer.

RedSkyAtNight Thu 24-May-18 08:08:44

They might be perfectly fine results (but agree with noble that there is no way of telling). About 60% at DC's school seems to now be equivalent to an "A" in old money, as they have so many much harder questions on the papers!
But your school may well be totally different.

Surely you have an inkling as to how she was getting on prior to the exams? It might be, for example, that she's doing well in normal lessons but panicked in the exams and didn't do as well as expected.

Peaseblossom22 Thu 24-May-18 08:15:04

Have you just had these via your dd, or have you had the official results. At our school , also independent , once the results are out you get a summary which also shows the mean for the year and the median for each subject so you are able to judge much better how they are doing compared to their cohort.

Witchend Thu 24-May-18 22:29:28

You need a frame of reference is what noble means.

For example, I got 53% in my year 8 geography and 83% in my year 9.

I was also 3rd in my year 8 (out of 30) and 15th (out of 22) in my year 9.

So from the first result you might think I was mediocre in year 8 and really good in year 9, but it was actually the other way round.

blackeyes72 Fri 25-May-18 07:36:16

Hi, my dd1 is also at an independent school marking in this way, although she is in year 8 now.

From.averages and feedback so far, I worked out that anything above 80 per cent is fine, between 70 and 80 per cent needs a little push and below 70 needs work.

Anything below 60 I would speak to teachers to see what can be done. It's still very early days, luckily!!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: