Talk

Advanced search

Resit maths, doesn't want to, do we have to pay?

(27 Posts)
Ohlellykelly Wed 23-May-18 17:31:28

Dss is in sixth form and has been put in for a maths resit tomorrow. He is adamant he is not doing it as he didn't want to resit maths.

We want him to, but he's being silly.

My question is, will the school send us an invoice for the exam if he doesn't turn up?

noblegiraffe Wed 23-May-18 17:56:37

It is a government condition of sixth form funding that he continues to study for his maths GCSE if he failed in Y11. Technically he doesn’t have to be entered for the exam, however if he has been studying for it, why would he throw away the chance to pass a core GCSE?

As the school have paid to enter him for it, they may well expect you to pay the entry costs if he doesn’t show up.

Tell him to get his head out of his arse?

wizzywig Wed 23-May-18 17:58:14

Please resit it. So many careers ask for an A-C in maths.

titchy Wed 23-May-18 18:08:12

Maybe he really likes maths and wants to continue to do it - which indeed he will have to if he doesn't sit it tomorrow and subsequently gets a job or apprenticeship....

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Wed 23-May-18 18:13:48

He is being extremely silly. Will they even allow him to stay in 6th form having failed basic maths? I thought that was a minimum requirement?
Stop focusing on the cash 🙄

TheresALight Wed 23-May-18 18:23:35

I had to resit a maths module, it was a topic I hated and I ended up going from F to U on that paper.
I would suggest that he goes and tries the paper as it might improve his overall mark. Or, like me, he might see that he still doesn't gave a clue, answer as much as he can just in case and leave early.
Although my mark for this particular paper was horrendus I still got an A overall in Maths AS Level and a B for the full A Level.
I doubt you'll get charged if it's a first resit but tell him that you'll be charging him for the resit fee and that should hopefully ensure he attends

Mrstumbletap Wed 23-May-18 18:29:26

They could charge yes.

Try and remove any pressure or go through some revision tonight with him to see if he is just feeling insecure about it?

bookmum08 Wed 23-May-18 18:34:19

Tell him he has to go in and write his name on the paper. Then he has two options
1 - sit there and do nothing until he is allowed to leave and he will get a grade U
2 - fill the time having a look at some of the questions and fill in some answers if he wants.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Wed 23-May-18 18:34:40

How were you allowed to do maths at A level having gained an F at GCSE, Therealight??

Ohlellykelly Wed 23-May-18 19:29:51

Thank you everyone. I'm not bothered about the money as such, I just want him to go for it, do the resit and have no regrets.

I think he is afraid of failing again as his sister is predicted to get A* in maths gcse.

I'm going to talk to him again and discuss what you have all pointed out, and the pp who said he can pay us if he doesn't resit has got a good point. He hardly ever goes to work anymore yet expects us to pay for his social life etc.

Ohlellykelly Wed 23-May-18 19:31:48

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar not sure why they let him stay on, I can't actually remember confused

noblegiraffe Wed 23-May-18 19:36:50

If he doesn’t pitch up then he’ll definitely fail!

How is he getting on in his other subjects? Is this just a maths issue?

WinnersClub Wed 23-May-18 19:40:54

I would like to know the answer to Iamgreyhound’s question as well.

Ohlellykelly Wed 23-May-18 19:42:11

He's of the thinking when you scrape through doing the bare minimum. He doesn't go to school on independent learning days, and doesn't learn at home either.

He chose subjects that aren't very specific, media studies for one. His heart isn't in it.

noblegiraffe Wed 23-May-18 19:44:54

It sounds like you’ve got bigger problems than just turning up for his resit tbh. I would suggest that he needs to start looking at his long term options and realise how many doors will be closed to him without maths GCSE and poor results in his other subjects.

Ohlellykelly Wed 23-May-18 20:06:51

The school didn't really want him back, they suggested a btech instead, but he insisted. I think he was supposed to resit as a provisional to stay.

I'll remind him of this, I genuinely can't remember as he is my dh's son, I have a son myself doing gcses and I'm focussing on him atm.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Wed 23-May-18 20:13:11

How odd that he could insist his way onto an A Level course he’s not actually able for.
What school doesn’t have minimum entry requirements? hmm

Ohlellykelly Wed 23-May-18 20:52:43

No I mean that he wouldn't listen to us and go to college and do a btec. His courses at sixth form didn't require a maths gsce. He scraped in with the three a-c grades required. The grades didn't have to be in a particular subject to do media and business and Welsh, which is what he's taking.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Wed 23-May-18 21:28:06

Oh, I see what you mean. I’d definitely get your DH to strongly encourage him to go in and do it.
But that’s all you can do, I suppose flowers

Ohlellykelly Wed 23-May-18 21:44:38

I agree, I have my fingers crossed he will change his mind, you never know with these teenagers grin

PostNotInHaste Thu 24-May-18 07:07:25

Good luck. If you see this before he is due to go, give him a message from my DD. It’s from me on her behalf actually but she’s cleaning her teeth ready to go in for the exam (she’s 19) but I know exactly what she’ll say. She has a younger brother headed for an 8 or a 9 when the time comes.

Basically stop being a dick, go and do your best. It will bite you on the arse if you haven’t got it. If you don’t get it this time try again next time. I didn’t listen to my parents but actually it turns out they did know what they are talking about for a change.

Ohlellykelly Thu 24-May-18 08:04:07

Thank you post and thank your dd. He has gone in and he is going for it!

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Thu 24-May-18 11:46:26

Did he do it??

PostNotInHaste Thu 24-May-18 14:54:08

Excellent ! Let’s keep our fingers crossed for both of them. DD wasn’t resoundingly full of optimism but we’ll see.

Ohlellykelly Thu 24-May-18 16:29:01

He did it! Let's see what August brings....

Thanks to all of you, it's lovely over here on this board.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: