Talk

Advanced search

Non selective independent schools near Surbiton

(9 Posts)
oliverj1912 Tue 17-Apr-18 08:53:20

Hi I am moving back to the UK after 12 years living in Dubai and I am looking for an independent non selective secondary school for my son - he is starting year 10 and not particularly academic. Does anyone have any suggestions please, I would be so grateful as I am feeling a big overwhelmed at the moment!

OP’s posts: |
trojanhorse2 Tue 17-Apr-18 17:42:42

I live in Epsom, so fairly close and the onyl two I can think of this direction, which are close are:
Ewell Castle -girls and boys. several of my neighbours' sons attend and like it
Kingswood House - boys only and recently extended to GCSE.
Claremont Fan but don't much about it.

There are not many non-selectives nearby which is why Kingswood and Downsend (in Leatherhead) are now going up to GCSE. However, Downsend are only planning to offer this for year 9 onwards in Sept 2020 i.e. for current year 6.

CraftyGin Tue 17-Apr-18 18:16:31

What type of school do you want for your son? Small and nurturing to big and pushy?

Localher0 Tue 17-Apr-18 21:39:32

Claremont has been great for my DS. We moved back from abroad for him to start Y7. School buses run through Surbiton. There's also ACS Cobham if you want an international school.

bakedbeansfortea Wed 18-Apr-18 09:12:03

In addition to the ones mentioned above, you could also take a look at Box Hill and Halliford. Would both be about 30 mins from Surbiton. Both would have exams but are less academically selective

oliverj1912 Wed 18-Apr-18 09:58:32

Hi thank you for replying, I am looking for a small school as even though my son is a hulking great 14 year old he is not very street wise. Children here do not really have much independence because of the culture and schools tend to be quite small with small classes.

OP’s posts: |
bakedbeansfortea Wed 18-Apr-18 11:03:24

Not sure what you would class as small - none of these are particularly large and all would have smaller class sizes than state schools. So probably worth exploring them all/visiting so you can get a feel. Kingswood House is probably smallest. The prep/junior has 2 classes of approximately 12 each - think senior (Y9 onwards) might only be one class but not sure. Next year will be first year they have y11.

CraftyGin Wed 18-Apr-18 12:59:37

If you are interested in really small, consider Canbury School on Kingston Hill (very close to Surbiton).

www.canburyschool.co.uk

It’s an amazing little school.

Mary19 Wed 18-Apr-18 16:37:28

Thames Christian College and the Hall in Wimbledon may also be worth a look but I believe both only go to age 16. Does he have any learning problems such as dyslexia. If so More House in Frensham and the Moat may be worth looking at.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in