Talk

Advanced search

Brit school application

(13 Posts)
lucyhugo123 Sun 15-Apr-18 09:34:21

Does anyone here have any recent experience with applying to the Brit School? My DS would like to do his application this year to go next year (to start in year 10) . He wants to go into the theatre strand and we are out of area. So he could do with all the help we can get. Thanks so much in advance.

OP’s posts: |
trojanhorse2 Sun 15-Apr-18 10:20:04

Friend's daughter going in Sept. Competition is fierce - overseas applications if can prove have somewhere to live near school. 100s per place (extended family etc.)

Celeriacacaca Sun 15-Apr-18 11:33:21

DS has just found out that he has a place there for Sixth Form, which is fantastic. He'll be doing a different strand to what your DS would like to do.

My advice would be to make sure you go to the open events, speak to the relevant head of department and your DS should be able to demonstrate a passion for drama/theatre ie have examples of involvement. Obviously the application has to be very well written to convey that passion to get an interview. Do the application offline first as I am pretty sure it can only be submitted the once, ie you can't make amendments once it's done.

Hopefully someone else will come along whose DC has been through the theatre audition procedure so can tell you more. It is competitive but I know a couple of local students who'll be going there for Year 10.

Are you close enough to be able to do the Brit Kids classes on Saturdays? That can help. www.brit.croydon.sch.uk/_site/data/files/brit%20kids/4BD64B22A8F3D97714E5CCCF9FF3AF3E.pdf

At his interview, the first question DS was asked was how far he had travelled to get there, and what means he travelled by, so they obviously consider this as a factor. They also discussed punctuality with him at the interview. The interview was very relaxed and friendly and more a discussion of what he's done, where he thinks he might want to go with it and how he hopes to get there. They invited a parent to attend the interview and I thought I'd be at the back of the room just observing but, in fact, I was asked some questions. PM me if you'd like any other info. Good luck.

lucyhugo123 Sun 15-Apr-18 11:57:31

Thanks do much, I really appreciate your info.

Bluenote Wed 18-Apr-18 13:12:48

DS just got a place on the Y10 music strand, starting Sep 2018.

It's difficult for anyone to give informed advice as none of us know what it was about our respective applications/auditions that made them successful (or not as the case may be) as no feedback is given by the BRIT School.

I guess that the crucial hurdle is getting invited to audition/interview in the first place –in music only 75 of the applicants make it that far, I don't know about MT.

We went to the open evening, listened to the teachers and tried to understand what was expected. There's also a lot of info on the website and in the prospectus about what they look for and you need to make absolutely sure that you cover all of those things (and more) in the application.

If you're fortunate enough to make the short list and are invited to audition/interview then I guess it just comes down to how well your DC performs on the day.

DancingHipposOnAcid Thu 19-Apr-18 06:24:57

Congratulations to your DS, Bluenote. It's a real achievement getting a place, the competition is intense. It is a fantastic place, though, he won't regret his decision.

DD is just finishing Y13 in MT. She has absolutely loved it and has blossomed. She couldn't have had better training anywhere. The school has fantastic industry connections which are like gold dust and the teaching is first class. A large proportion of her year are being offered places at the most competitive vocational training colleges in the world. DD has been offered a place in foundation at Mountview.

As to application, spend a lot of time on writing this and put full details of all activities related to your chosen strand to show your commitment. This is what gets you an audition. At audition prepare well and remember lots of formal training isn't essential, they are looking for potential and enthusiasm.

Good luck to all auditioning, this really is a special place.

lucyhugo123 Thu 19-Apr-18 07:23:00

Congratulations to your DD and thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

DancingHipposOnAcid Thu 19-Apr-18 12:02:51

Thanks Lucy, she just found out last week so very excited smile

Good luck to your DS with his application, hope he gets the chance to go to this amazing school.

Bluenote Mon 23-Apr-18 10:17:06

Thanks @DancingHipposOnAcid and all the best to your DD for the future.

Jsmith2006 Wed 04-Mar-20 12:56:40

Hi,
How long after the audition did u hear please
Thank you xx

KatyCustard Fri 13-Mar-20 21:22:26

We heard yesterday. My daughter got a place on the Post 16 musical theatre course, we are ecstatic!

Jsmith2006 Sat 14-Mar-20 07:22:28

We are still waiting for ks4 sad

sarah5432198 Fri 23-Oct-20 11:53:44

hiya, could you elaborate on the process etc, and how long it took to hear back after each stage eg, application, workshop, second audition etc

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in