Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

City of London School - Choir

(6 Posts)
karmamum Sat 14-Apr-18 23:03:20

My son is 8 and currently in a state school. He has recently been offered a place in a choir on condition that he gets into City of London School for Boys. He has some pre-assessment tests in Year 4 and depending on how they go, be invited to sit the 10+ entrance exams in Year 5 with a view to start in Year 6. Does anybody have an experience of what these pre-assessments are and how to prepare for them?

karmamum Tue 24-Apr-18 20:11:53

Anyone?

S999 Wed 25-Apr-18 18:52:07

Hi there
My son just sat the 10+ for CLS and was offered a place which we accepted.
The assessments are pretty similar to the 11+, the papers are available on their website for the 11+.
English is multiple choice and composition, Maths was pretty straightforward and there is only verbal reasoning not non-verbal.
We used CGP books, the 11+ ISEB books for comprehension, multiple choice and exampapersplus.co.uk
Hope that helps. Feel free to message me for more info.

getmeoutofhere123 Thu 26-Apr-18 14:28:10

Sorry I know this is of no help in answering you question, but I'm curious how a choir place can be conditional on getting into a particular school unless it's the school's choir?

Pythonesque Thu 26-Apr-18 15:24:59

It will be a chorister place of some sort I think. Can't advise (though kids good enough to pass chorister assessments are generally doing fairly well academically as well) - but good luck! (and well done to him so far!)

Korg Sat 28-Apr-18 22:20:30

Getmeoutofhere this is standard for cathedral and college choirs and for Temple choir which sends the choristers to City. To get children of the right musical aptitude all of the choir schools have open recruitment, where the children are selected for the choir first (via voice trial and in some cases instrumental audition) and then they have to pass the academic test for the school. The voice test is more competitive than the academics: most children who pass a voice trial are academic too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: