Talk

Advanced search

is there a need to ban scrum and tackling in 11-18 rugby?

(4 Posts)
missyrogers Sat 31-Mar-18 16:19:29

i am conducting a questionnaire for my dissertation please if you have time could you please complete it
many thanks
Zoe
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd9ATG0plbIP4K3GHHkg4eLFOgzOMm1IOVEAS9HBq8lqoAsGg/viewform?usp=sf_link

OP’s posts: |
Numbkinnuts Sun 01-Apr-18 20:06:39

A lot out there already in relation to this. Dr Allison Pollock brings this up every year along with her colleagues. They have so far produced very little evidence to support their view.
How about focussing on the positive aspects of how rugby is being coached through Age Grade Rugby and increasing skills through the age grades.
There is a lot that is positive about how rugby is played / coached by these age groups but most academics seem to choose to ignore this.
Good luck in any case.

elephantoverthehill Sun 01-Apr-18 20:14:37

I will be happy to fill out your questionnaire but I am unclear as to whether the questionnaire is based on school based rugby or all rugby for the age group e.g. club rugby where youngsters have the choice to take part.

senua Mon 02-Apr-18 10:15:48

"Should harmful contact (tackling/ scrum) be banned in rugby for 11-18 year old's?"

Is this meant to be a serious question.angry It's like asking "when did you stop beating your wife?".
The question should be "Should contact (tackling/ scrum) be banned in rugby for 11-18 year old's?". Throwing in a loaded adjective like "harmful" is not a good design of a question. I hope your Supervisor pulls you up on this.
Of course I think harmful contact should be avoided. Who doesn't? That is why it is best that children are taught how to tackle/scrum properly, so that it is not harmful.
Crossing the road is potentially harmful - do we keep our children away from roads or do we teach them how to cross safely? The same applies here.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in