Talk

Advanced search

The odious Toby Young has quit his job helping to set up new Free Schools

(27 Posts)
noblegiraffe Fri 23-Mar-18 18:38:22

Great news to kick off the Easter Holidays!

www.standard.co.uk/news/education/toby-young-quits-role-as-head-of-new-schools-network-after-sexism-row-a3797816.html

Only 3 months later than it should have been after he quit the Office for Students board. No mention of his support for eugenics.

OP’s posts: |
TheSecondOfHerName Fri 23-Mar-18 19:16:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SolidarityGdansk Fri 23-Mar-18 19:17:10

I think that is a great shame.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Fri 23-Mar-18 19:21:55

I think that is a great shame.
Because all schools need a good old fashioned misogynist to lead them hmm

noblegiraffe Fri 23-Mar-18 19:24:33

Why is it a shame? Because he was doing a good job? No new free schools have been announced in nearly a year so it’s unclear what he was even doing to earn his £90k.

sanam2010 Fri 23-Mar-18 19:25:46

TheSecondofHerName - can you share what you thought of the Head? She sounds like a very strong candidate on paper!

SolidarityGdansk Fri 23-Mar-18 19:26:04

I find this public hounding of people out of jobs to be very unpleasant.

SolidarityGdansk Fri 23-Mar-18 19:27:04

But since he is MN favourite villain. I guess this thread is going to be a pile in.

noblegiraffe Fri 23-Mar-18 19:30:58

You think it’s fine for someone who argues for ‘progressive eugenics’ to be paid by the government to help set up schools? confused

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Fri 23-Mar-18 19:45:54

I find this public hounding of people out of jobs to be very unpleasant.
Of course if the people appointing them did their job properly in the first place then there wouldn’t need to have been a public outcry because he wouldn’t have been appointed to start with. It beggars belief that Joe or Jane Smith applying for a bog-standard office job can be passed over due to dodgy social media output in the past and yet no one bothered checking Toby Young’s background before appointing him to a high-profile publicly-funded role. But maybe that’s just me hmm

Piggywaspushed Fri 23-Mar-18 20:01:43

Knew you'd be pleased noble !

Good riddance to him.

noblegiraffe Fri 23-Mar-18 20:39:26

Maybe now he can go back to jobs he is more suited for like cocaine procurement and celebrity brown-nosing.

TheSecondOfHerName Fri 23-Mar-18 21:08:54

noblegiraffe Fri 23-Mar-18 21:10:49

I thought you were talking about Toby for a minute, Second and got very confused at the word ‘feminist’ grin

TheSecondOfHerName Fri 23-Mar-18 21:17:35

livinginchiswick Fri 23-Mar-18 21:24:27

Wait. West Free has changed Head? Again?!

camcam1 Sun 25-Mar-18 07:33:10

Fabulous news. Doubt this man will be missed by many. Hope his dear wife can still afford her Tennis Club membership 🙄
Hope it doesn’t result in more Daily F*{l articles.

megletthesecond Sun 25-Mar-18 07:40:05

He's obviously bored already and out of his depth. He'll have another vanity project lined up soon.

PurpleCrowbar Sun 25-Mar-18 09:42:30

Oh dear. What a shame.

grin

noblegiraffe Tue 27-Mar-18 18:23:12

And he has been replaced by Tory favourite Mark Lehain, the head who wrote an article telling teachers they should take a pay cut to help out with the school funding crisis.

www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/exclusive-head-knowledge-rich-curriculum-campaign-replaces-toby-young

I know @Piggywaspushed is a big fan of his.

noblegiraffe Tue 27-Mar-18 18:25:17

In fact, I’ve just done a search. Gold star for Piggy grin:

Piggywaspushed Thu 11-Jan-18 07:03:06
The thing about the NSN is leading it is now viewed as a route to government : lots of the have stayed in their post for hardly any length of time before progressing into the Tory high command (ish) so clearly that was what Toby was promised/ expected. He won't expect to stay in that role for a great deal longer. It will bore him for a start as I am not convinced he likes children/ teachers/ people at all. He expects more : such is his sense of entitlement.

I expect Mark Lehain to be in the NSN post before much longer and Toby to be elsewhere.

Piggywaspushed Tue 27-Mar-18 18:30:30

Goodness! I always did say I should have been a spy!!

Astronotus Tue 27-Mar-18 18:54:08

Well done Piggy. Although after leaving NSN he is probably not where he expected he would be!

Piggywaspushed Tue 27-Mar-18 19:05:06

Not yet...

noblegiraffe Tue 27-Mar-18 20:13:16

I didn’t realise that the director of the New Schools Network prior to Toby Young was Nick Timothy. And Dominic Cummings worked there at the same time that he was convincing Gove and the DfE to hand it a load of funding. It really is a line-up of Tory pricks isn’t it?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in