Talk

Advanced search

Chislerhurst / Bromley schools

(5 Posts)
user380968 Tue 13-Mar-18 23:21:13

We are planning to move to Chislerhurst and would like some advice about schools. We have 2 girls, one going to year 4 and the other one to year 6 in September.

We are thinking of Chislerhurst and Sidcup grammar and Bullerswood for secondary school. I would be grateful for advice about these 2 schools or any other secondary school in the area. Also, which are the good primary schools as we will move daughters if we find a space in their years.

What is transport and traffic like?

PettsWoodParadise Wed 14-Mar-18 08:09:25

Chislehurst spreads over a large area. The Royal Parade part near the war memorial gets gridlocked at school run time, Summer Hill between Susan Wood and the small roundabout at the bottom of the hill gets busy too. Then there are parts that describe themselves as Chislehurst but are really Mottingham.

Only some parts are going to be in catchment for Bullers girls and with the Boys school (albeit in a temp location) having a sibling link with the girls schools the catchment is only going to shrink even further. The reason the preferred site for the boys school was overturned was traffic, but some argue this was inaccurate due to road works.

Chis n Sid you have to pass the Bexley test - last year it even offered below pass in the test but a charm offensive this year seems to have reversed the image of it being bottom of the Bexley grammar list. Depending where you are be careful of flooding too, some bits suffer. Also if you need t commute then the golden triangle of between Bickley, Bromley and Chislehurst which is close to Chislehurst (but many large expensive houses) can be ideal as Bickley is on the Victoria line and Chislehurst on the Charing Cross / Cannon St line.

I had friends’ children go to St Nicholas school and rated it highly but there are faith requirements and it is small so I would be surprised if there were spaces. For in-year spaces I doubt you will get much choice but it is the luck of the time you apply and you usually have to be in-situ rather than ask for spaces and then move. There are a number of private schools in the area too including Babington and Farringtons.

user380968 Wed 14-Mar-18 08:30:16

Thank you very much. Saw a house we like and closest station is Elmstead Woods but need to get more info about the area and schools before we commit as where we live at the moment is convenient for work.

LadyLapsang Tue 20-Mar-18 00:48:13

You could also consider Newstead Wood for secondary. No personal experience as no daughters.St Nicholas used to have a very small catchment area.

wetsnow Tue 20-Mar-18 00:55:23

Not sure about secondarys but just looked round lots of chislehurst schools dor my dd. Red hill, montebelle, edgebury all lovely schools. Didnt look at st nicks.
In year application you could be lucky with Red hill but more likely space at mottingham primary as undersubscribed.. good luck. I love living in chislehurst. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: