Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Radley College

(7 Posts)
Advicewouldbegreat Tue 13-Mar-18 21:15:51

DS is on the Open Entry route to Radley and has been told he's passed the pre-test and been shortlisted for Open Entry assessment.

Does anyone know if they shortlist loads of boys for this or not, ie how good/bad our chances are? I know from other schools some interview basically everyone unless they totally screw up the exam, while others only interview a few who have realistic chances of getting in.

Also, does anyone know what the assessment day involves and what they're tested on while they're there?

I'd be very grateful for any insight.

Thank you

Advicewouldbegreat Wed 14-Mar-18 10:23:26

bump (in hope!)

justlearning2017 Wed 14-Mar-18 10:29:44

My son is in the same boat. I think the system is pretty new so it may not be clear how it's going to work this year.

All I understand is that they filtered based on needing to get 60% or more equivalent in the ISEB.

It would be good to understand if any of the people who did it off the down at birth list know anything about how the day is structured.

NeedingCoffee Wed 14-Mar-18 19:47:25

The down-from-birth contingent didn’t do an assessment day this year. They did the ISEB pretest and had a 10 minute interview which I gather was just a chat really. Presumably they’d have stopped you getting to this stage if there was any concern because the offers are then unconditional (CE used only for setting).

Advicewouldbegreat Thu 15-Mar-18 09:16:41

Thank you both, interesting and encouraging! Fingers crossed.

Thank you x

justlearning2017 Fri 08-Jun-18 09:37:42

Advicewouldbegreat - how did your son get on?

Applecrumble2 Wed 13-Jun-18 17:38:12

The open list system was new last year, 2019 will see the first boys from this system start at Radley.
My son went through this system last year. I believe that there was quite an interest the first year and we were delighted to get an interview having done the pretest. The rumour was that about 290 boys were whittled down to about 30 at Interview. There certainly were quite a few assessment days. Not all those boys took up the A place and subsequently boys on the B list were offered places, not everyone made it onto the B list however .
We knew several boys that were interviewed on the Open list and several via the Birth list. Some of the Open list entries were given quite full on interviews and asked some very tricky questions. Discussing it afterwards I believe they were looking at how they handled not knowing an answer and if they were prepared to attempt an answer around an area they may not have been actually taught. Tell him to be honest about his real interests academically I would say, because each of the boys I know were asked about there favourite subject and then given challenging questions on the subject that they wouldn't have covered. They also sit an English assessment and I seem to remember read a short passage.
We came away with the impression that they were looking for boys that could think for themselves and attempt to answer a question even if they didn't know the answer. I cant remember the exact question my son and his friends were asked now but they weren't things they could have prepared for. They are looking for boys that will bring something extra not necessarily be the best at everything but willing to get stuck in.
There are so many rumours about Radley- but we found them to be both helpful , down to earth and forward thinking.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: