Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Looking for a GCSE English tutor

(16 Posts)
whataboutbob Sun 11-Mar-18 17:46:28

14 yo DS has asked me to find him a tutor for his English GCSE. I have asked his teacher but she just advised me to google. Which I did, and there are a plethora of websites. However it strikes me as a bit random, so if anyone has a recommendations on finding someone who is competent, qualified and of course safe that would be great. Thank you.

spleenyone Sun 11-Mar-18 17:51:46

Where are you?

TeenTimesTwo Sun 11-Mar-18 17:55:36

We used the tutorhunt website, and struck lucky.

You can email back and forward with a potential tutor as much as you want first, then pay a finders fee and the web site releases the actual contact details.

whataboutbob Sun 11-Mar-18 18:07:25

Sorry should have said. We are in Merton, south London .

semideponent Sun 11-Mar-18 18:45:45

Try Tutorfair. The verified tutors have shown the paperwork supporting their credentials to the agency in person. All tutors (verified or not) have had a basic ID check. You can see feedback from previous clients about specific tutors. There's a range of people and prices.

You can also book online tutors through the platform, if your son prefers that option.

whataboutbob Sun 11-Mar-18 20:10:07

Thanks everyone. Has anyone tried notices in the public library/ newsagents ( not being facetious there!) ? I guess at least you can check their spelling test that way. No joking, I’ve seen some of said notices with several spelling mistakes on them!

whataboutbob Mon 12-Mar-18 14:27:40

Just a question: what would be good questions to ask the tutor prior to hiring? I would assume good knowledge of the curriculum, ability to help with essay planning and writing, check their usual tutoring session structure. Anything else?

TeenTimesTwo Mon 12-Mar-18 14:39:08

I think to start with you need to know what you want.
General help or something specific?
Aiming for a pass or an 8/9?
Language and literature, or just one of them?
Ongoing until the exam or just for a term/year

Do you want a trained teacher?
Do you want an active teacher?
Do you want an exam marker?
Do you need exam-board specific knowledge?

What 'character' do you need. Gentle and coaxing, or straight forward no nonsense.

Are they coming to you, or would you go to them.

whataboutbob Mon 12-Mar-18 18:18:05

Yes teens you are right. I was really fairly ignorant but some internet search reveals there’s an English lit and an English language gcse. DS sometimes talks as if it’s just one subject, some PPs have mentioned kids can get taught the 2 subjects in the same lessons .
I think DS needs help with essay writing technique, and with the set texts. He is fairly resilient so doesn’t need particularly gentle coaxing. He could travel to the tutors ho eindependently if it’s not too far. Ideally of course I’d like him to get a good grade. He’d probably get a pass anyway, but with focused help could get a good grade. An active teacher who knows the exam board would be ideal.

TeenTimesTwo Mon 12-Mar-18 19:38:41

So now you know what to ask for: smile

Experienced teacher who can help with Lang and Lit. Aiming to solidify expected pass and turn it into a good pass. Help understanding and analysing the set texts for Lit and for crafting appropriate essays. Additionally help with considering and including sentences needed for higher mark ranges for English Lang. An active teacher who knows exam board X preferred if possible.

numbereightyone Mon 12-Mar-18 19:42:07

It's hilarious that the OP didn't feel it necessary to say where they are. They just had to be in London grin

TeenTimesTwo Mon 12-Mar-18 19:46:02

I didn't see the question as location specific.

whataboutbob Tue 13-Mar-18 13:41:09

Teen- thank you for helping me clarify my ideas and get them down into a concise format! Are you by any chance an English teacher? !grin

TeenTimesTwo Tue 13-Mar-18 14:32:15

what No! (maths degree which helps logical thinking)

But last term I found my DD2 and English tutor. I wanted to avoid the massive panic we had for DD1 in y11, when we found out only at mocks that she couldn't actually do the written papers (having been getting As for her controlled assessments).

TeenTimesTwo Tue 13-Mar-18 14:32:55

an English tutor

whataboutbob Tue 13-Mar-18 14:50:16

Hats off, if you have a maths degree you are very smart! And thanks again for all your good advice. Hope your DDs tutor is working out well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: