Talk

Advanced search

Secondary school (private or state) for a non-academic boy with ASD in SE London

(7 Posts)
Puffthemagicdragongoestobed Mon 05-Mar-18 21:34:11

Our DS is in year 3 and we have started thinking about secondary options for him. He received an ASD diagnosis last year. Whilst he has fewer issues on the social side his learning and development is slow, especially in maths and writing. Socially he has not really had any issues thankfully. He has always had the same group of good friends, goes to playdates, sleepover parties etc, makes friends easily when on holidays etc.
It's more his academic side that is weak. So we would be looking for a school ideally with small class sizes, good pastoral care, not too much hothousing but still turning out kids who go on to have a decent career - asking too much?
We could afford private if we have to but would like to explore state options as well and would consider moving house if necessary.

Any great schools you can recommend?

Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
goodluck26 Tue 06-Mar-18 15:37:36

More House School Farnham, Surrey?

Mary21 Tue 06-Mar-18 16:12:11

Riveston, Thames Christian College, Centre Academy, The Moat, Canbury.
Depends where you are

Puffthemagicdragongoestobed Tue 06-Mar-18 21:55:14

Thank you for your suggestions. We are in South East London Brockley area.

MrsPatmore Tue 06-Mar-18 22:18:03

Farringtons, St Dunstan's,

Lentils Thu 08-Mar-18 10:36:54

St Dunstans - but be warned harder and harder to get in. You might want to try junior school first.

Puffthemagicdragongoestobed Thu 08-Mar-18 17:19:38

Thank you. Yes I read that about St Dunstans too. Good for them but not so good for us! It’s quite close to us so has always been on my radar. Maybe I should just speak to them and explain the situation, let’s see what they say.

Any views on state secondaries in the area?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in