Talk

Advanced search

Email from 2nd choice school

(10 Posts)
RueDeWakening Mon 05-Mar-18 12:50:53

Hi,

My DD will start year 7 in September, and we accepted a place at her first choice selective school last week,

Today, I've received an email from her 2nd choice school, also selective, inviting us to put her on their waiting list.

Is this normal? It seems somewhat odd - the email acknowledges that we accepted a higher preference school.

OP’s posts: |
Tolacar Mon 05-Mar-18 13:03:26

Don't quite understand that myself 🤔

ReelingLush18 Mon 05-Mar-18 13:11:26

I think it is quite normal for some of the super-selectives (certainly the Sutton ones). Trying to poach the brightest pupils. Not sure how often it works though!

MrsFantastic Mon 05-Mar-18 13:40:00

Yes, it's normal. They're trying to "poach" the high scorers in case they changed their minds about their preferences. . DS2 got a letter from his second choice. We were happy with getting his first choice so just ignored the letter.

Killybashangel Mon 05-Mar-18 13:42:39

We had a letter from a comp that we put as third choice asking if we wanted to go on the waiting list. (We didn't.)

Killybashangel Mon 05-Mar-18 13:43:37

Forgot to say we got first choice and accepted it

RueDeWakening Mon 05-Mar-18 13:44:16

Well that seems cheeky! Particularly because the two schools are part of the same academy trust.

Reeling it is indeed the two Sutton grammars.

OP’s posts: |
ReelingLush18 Mon 05-Mar-18 16:33:54

RueDeWakening the boys' grammars do it too. I've always thought it 'not cricket' myself!

Sittinginthesun Mon 05-Mar-18 16:37:57

One of our local schools does something similar. I assumed it was a standard letter.

BeesAndChiscuits Mon 05-Mar-18 17:12:40

We had that from our 3rd choice selective.confused

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in