Advanced search

Renting/Moving to get into Catchment area

(9 Posts)
Nick211001 Sun 04-Mar-18 12:12:51

So I've been reading a number of posts on the topic I'm about to raise so I'm expecting some rudeness but any useful advice and guidance would be appreciated.

We moved into our house in 2008 which was in the catchment area for both the primary and secondary school we wanted. Son's been through primary and starts secondary in Sept.

We've just heard we didn't get a place. Apparently we're in a 'bulge' year. Catchment area is 474m and we're at about 500m depending on how you measure it. Given that we're in an anomaly year, our house will be in the catchment in follow on years. Historically, catchments been significantly bigger than this year.

We're looking at either renting or moving to be closer to the school to increase the likelihood of him getting a place this September or next.

Does anyone have any constructive advice on both approaches? In addition I don't believe we've got any grounds for appeal but if anyone has any useful advice that would be welcome as well.

OP’s posts: |
tiggytape Sun 04-Mar-18 12:22:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

spacecadet48 Sun 04-Mar-18 12:30:35

Are you not on the waiting list for your first choice? I know a number of parents in a similar position to you who in previous years would have been almost guaranteed a place at the local school who this year haven't been offered but are on a waiting list. There are usually movement in our local secondary as some parents opt for private so the waiting lists do move. Schools have got smart now with parents leaving there main home and renting temporarily to get in. The council will have guidance on their web sites so you may want to check what screening they do.

RhubarbFizz Sun 04-Mar-18 12:41:56

Moving house for next Sept will not help as there is no guarantee a space will become available for Yr 8 and that application will be different to the one for Yr 7, so staying where you are on a waiting list may well be as good. However near you are if there is no space it will make no difference.
Hopefully a space will come up in the coming weeks.

Middleoftheroad Sun 04-Mar-18 13:26:01

Hold tight. We moved for schools and didn't need to in the end as the comp we didn't think we'd get was eventually offered to others on our road (albeit one term in).

I agree with the pps that it's a risky move when likelihood you are near the very top of the list. There's always movement, even in Sept as we found out.

Levie Sun 04-Mar-18 16:03:47

Don't do this. You are taking the place from another child.
My DD was bumped off the top of the waiting list by somebody who did exactly this.

PatriciaHolm Sun 04-Mar-18 17:22:47

Moving (permanently - you would need to dispose of the home you have now) closer to the school would move you up the waiting list assuming distance is a criteria, but as others have said, it won't open up a space. I would imagine you are pretty high up anyway, have you checked that?

Any appeal would need to be based on showing that the disadvantage to him of not attending would be greater than that to the school of taking in another pupil -are there subjects it offers that are of special interest to him? clubs? nurture groups?

SlackPanther Sun 04-Mar-18 18:33:27

Find out where you are on the waiting list. You might get a place very soon anyway.

Bekabeech Sun 04-Mar-18 18:38:16

My eldest son got a place from 25th on the waiting list.
Did you get offered any school place? If not or if there are lots of people who didn't a bulge class might open.
It is highly unlikely that you will be able to genuinely move in time to make a difference.
Lots of people do win appeals every year. Why is this school ideal for your son?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in