Advanced search

Possible appeal or just a mistake?

(13 Posts)
HairyMaclary Fri 02-Mar-18 11:52:01

There appears to have been some sort of mix up with my son’s secondary school placement.

Our first choice was A and our second was B. We were allocated B which I was a bit surprised by but as he would have been in category 10 as a non catholic sibling for school A it was always possible that this would have been the result.

However I then rang the school (A) to make sure he was in their waiting list when I was told by their admissions person that there had been a mistake and that he did have a place.

I am now a bit confused! Obviously we would like him to go to A but I don’t know if I should begin the appeals process or if this is an error and it will all be sorted without needing to go through an appeal? I have accepted the B place anyway so as not to be left without a school.

There is the possibility that the admissions person was wrong and we are beyond the distance cut off this year, we were a km inside it last year but it’s a very popular school and this may well have shrunk.

I’ve rung everyone I can think of but am off today for a snow day and just wondering if I shoul get started on the appeal? I have good grounds, I think.

OP’s posts: |
viques Fri 02-Mar-18 11:59:43

I think you need to speak to someone ASAP. It might be that if you have accepted a place then all other applications are void.

HairyMaclary Fri 02-Mar-18 12:01:42

No, I’m still on the waiting list for the first choice, A.

OP’s posts: |
tiggytape Fri 02-Mar-18 12:17:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

barofsoap Fri 02-Mar-18 12:17:41

these sort of errors can occur and usually sort out after a couple of days without going through the appeals process. might be worth calling school A back and asking if you will get letter / e-mail confirming it?

HairyMaclary Fri 02-Mar-18 13:29:20

Thanks, the op is a copy of the email I sent to the admissions authority, (with DSs name DoB and the schools named obviously) so hopefully that will do to start with.

I will make a more detailed note of the phone call to rely on if necessary and hope it gets sorted out ASAP!

OP’s posts: |
HairyMaclary Wed 21-Mar-18 10:55:01

HI again - this still hasn’t been resolved, apart from two further conversations with the admissions officer of the school who told me DS2 definitely has a place and I just have to trust her!

I’m chasing everything again today as we are able to find out from tomorrow where we are in the waiting list. However I have also left a message saying I am filling in the appeals paperwork (today is my only day off between now and the deadline of 29th May).

I know I need to say why we need school A over school B and I think I have good reasons. Is there anyone who might be able to look it over, or give me advice specific to my situation? I don’t want to put it all on MN as some of it is sensitive relating to DS1.

Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
prh47bridge Wed 21-Mar-18 13:30:42

I would be happy to help. Feel free to PM me.

HairyMaclary Wed 21-Mar-18 13:52:31

Thank you Prh47bridge, however in the post just now I have received a letter offering DS2 a place at school A. Phew!

Shame i’ve spent 2 hours doing the appeal paperwork today though but never mind, place is secured.


OP’s posts: |
spacecadet48 Wed 21-Mar-18 14:25:04

HairyMaclary great news!

prh47bridge Wed 21-Mar-18 17:08:54

Excellent news.

Piranha2 Wed 21-Mar-18 17:19:08

Hi All,
I’m looking at schools for my son who is year 10 moving into the area. He is particularly good in music doing GCSE, ebac etc. He is dyslexic. Just wanted some feedback on state schools in Lingfield/ Oxted/ Caterham/ Warlingham? Not a great time to be changing schools, but that’s life!

EssentialHummus Wed 21-Mar-18 17:24:49

piranha if you start your own thread you’re more likely to get responses to your question.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in