Talk

Advanced search

Tiffin Information

(3 Posts)
DecisionDecision Mon 26-Feb-18 10:34:38

Hello All,

I wonder if anyone can help me. We have a son who been offered a place at a SW London independent school and we are also awaiting the results of the Tiffin 11+ on Thursday.

Of course we do not know if our son has been succesful in the Tiffin exams but we do need to think about a decision.

We only got to see Tiffin on their very busy open day so don't feel we have a very good picture of the school, so I was wondering if there are any parents of boys who could help?

We would love to know:

(1) What do they do to ensure children there do not fall behind in certain subjects? Is there additional help and support?

(2) Following on, how is the communication with the parents? Are the teachers contactable and are they willing to discuss your child's progress outside of parent's evenings?

(3) What is the pastoral care like? Are children there generally happy?

(4) How good are the school at fixing any issues that arise?

Apologies for all the questions but we do not know anyone at the school right now and while lots of people have theories about the school, they often based on rumors and hearsay so would appreciate hearing from someone with children actually in the school.

OP’s posts: |
ch16 Mon 26-Feb-18 20:42:25

Disclaimer:Tiffin parent.
1.Teachers will help with extra work and the door is always open.Also there are online portals e.g.Dr Frost's maths and there are lunchtime remedial classes run by older boys.
2.They have a form system and the form teacher who gets to know the boys really well.All the teachers are contactable by e-mail.
3.Pastoral care is good.The boys are happy and it is cool to do well.Peer pressure involves excelling in your studies.
4.No issues to report, they have a merit/demerit and detention system.
We had a KGS place too but we do not have any regrets.Remember school fees rise year on year,I would budget for 8 years instead of 7 to take into account of price hikes.
Many people think T is a hothouse but fail to take into account that it is a very musical school with dance and a theatrical streak-GoT actor and Sherlock(Elementary one).

DecisionDecision Mon 05-Mar-18 11:50:19

Thank you very much for the information. It was very helpful to us in making a decision. We chose Tiffin.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in