Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

School Interviews

(9 Posts)
RosenaMum Wed 21-Feb-18 09:08:25

Hi there from Hong Kong. My dd is about to have interviews with Mount Kelly, St Bees and Wells Cathedral School this Saturday. She feels so nervous as this will be her first interview. Any tips for interviews? She's also struggling to choose what to wear. She has a formal suit but is it way too formal or should she wear a plain black dress instead?

BubblesBuddy Wed 21-Feb-18 11:02:33

Have the schools not told you what she should wear? Sometimes it is school uniform. Generally, if they do not specify, a blouse and skirt are fine. I think black is a bit austere for a child, but anything neat and plain is just fine. Feeling comfortable is important and they will not be judgemental about clothes.

My children did not prepare much for interviews. I knew the Principal of the school disliked "prepped" children (she had openly said so) so we made sure they could talk about their hobbies, what book or two they had really enjoyed and why they liked particular school subjects. There were no "catch" questions so the interview was more of a chat to see if they would fit in. It is also something that is part of a process. Presumably DD has done an exam or two?

Tell DD to relax, try and ber herself and engage in the conversation. Staff are very experienced at getting the best out of children. They are not trying to trick anyone and it will probably be a relaxed chat.

Tell her not to worry and good luck.

RosenaMum Wed 21-Feb-18 11:17:05

Thanks a lot BubblesBuddy. She's entering Y10 this September so I thought that she would wear plain black.

Abetes Wed 21-Feb-18 11:24:28

I would say wear anything she is comfortable in except jeans or denim. Skirt/jumper/blouse, trousers/top or dress. As long as she is clean and presentable.

In terms of tips, like pp said. Just be yourself. Be prepared to talk about recent book read, favourite subjects at school, why she wants to go to the school in question, what she likes to do outside school etc. Also tell her that there are no right answers to any left field questions like who you invite to your ideal dinner party or which period of history you would like to revisit - they are just to get you to talk.

BubblesBuddy Wed 21-Feb-18 11:30:40

Yes, I did forget to mention know what the schoool offers that she might like to do there. Music, drama, sport etc. Knowing a bit about the school is always helpful and where she may make a contribution eg school orchestra, participating in club, doing D of E for example.

As she is Y10, they may ask about possible careers and A level choices. What is she most interested in doing in the future? That sort of thing.

As it is Y10, black might be ok as long as she feels relaxed in it.

itsnotdifficult Wed 21-Feb-18 18:18:11

A dress or suit is fine - along with brushed hair, polished shoes etc. Black is no problem ... black and grey pretty much all a teenage girl wears!

She should probably have a question or 2 herself

RosenaMum Sat 24-Feb-18 07:06:20

Thanks a lot everyone. My dd received an unconditional offer from Wells Cathedral School and conditional offers from St Bees and Mount Kelly.

trudylady12 Tue 27-Feb-18 08:13:37

Congratulations!

BubblesBuddy Tue 27-Feb-18 12:05:17

Well done to her.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: