Talk

Advanced search

11+ London no place

(67 Posts)
Foamshrimp Tue 13-Feb-18 08:12:01

Does anyone have any experience of the mid-level London indie co-educational schools having last minute places eg in summer holidays. Am thinking of the Emanuel’s and Harrodians etc? We have had a shocker I think it is fair to say - interviews but no wait lists. State where I live not an option - only possible non religious school for which we are in catchment gets really poor GCSE results. Help!

ourkidmolly Tue 13-Feb-18 08:22:55

Loads of schools accept take last minute applications, don't panic. Depends where you are in London? Boy or girl?

mumoftwokidsboygirl Tue 13-Feb-18 08:28:46

I would say call the school in first week after half term .. they will tell you the truth .. good luck !

Foamshrimp Tue 13-Feb-18 08:32:01

Boy. West London but I am looking for co-ed if at all possible. All ideas greatly appreciated.

noitsnotteatimeyet Tue 13-Feb-18 08:32:41

This happened to a child in my dc’s class - they went to a prep school for Y7-8 and at 13+ got a place at one of the schools you mention. There are lots of spaces at prep schools which go up to 13 so your child won’t be school-less come September

pigshavecurlytails Tue 13-Feb-18 08:33:16

Where is he now? If a prep, the head should sort this.

Foamshrimp Tue 13-Feb-18 08:43:13

Thanks All. Will speak to the head but it’s half term of course so can’t meet until next week and I want to get ahead of the game if I can and have my own research ready. Anyone know what preps will have places?

pigshavecurlytails Tue 13-Feb-18 09:06:57

So is he at a prep? Because if so the head should have been onto this already, not waiting for you to get in to touch. He or she will have known before you did.

cakeisalwaystheanswer Tue 13-Feb-18 09:24:10

I have DCs at 3 SW London schools and I'm constantly shocked by the comings and goings of London families. Expat families return home, UK families are posted abroad, state school places become available, other more suitable private school places become available and most baffling of all is the huge number of DCs moved to specialist drama schools.
Places will come up but you are in for a tough wait. Someone else was in the same position last year but it worked out, see if you can find the thread and maybe pm the poster. There is nothing you can do until state school offers are made, even then some parents will pay a deposit for a school place they won't take. A 13+ prep is a good backupand I would find somewhere but I would keep it in reserve until September whilst you look elsewhere.
IF your DS was interviewed he is of the standard these schools are looking for so if at the end of the summer they have an empty desk they will take him.

nocampinghere Tue 13-Feb-18 09:35:38

depends where you are in West London.

iirc both Halliford and St James's in SW London/Surrey had an extra April admissions round the year my DC was applying for secondaries. I'm sure there will be others.

Or as you have a ds do a yr7 & yr8 prep (there should be space as girls and some boys will leave at 11, eg Twickenham Prep, Newland House) and apply for 13+ ?

nocampinghere Tue 13-Feb-18 09:36:49

Emmanuel i'd be amazed.. Over 1000 applicants this year. very tough to get in, long waiting lists...

Bringonspring Tue 13-Feb-18 09:39:05

Ibstock-near Putney

jeanne16 Tue 13-Feb-18 09:44:00

Fulham Prep and Wetherby are both prep schools that have opened senior schools. They may be worth a call.

Foamshrimp Tue 13-Feb-18 09:49:13

Thanks, yes a prep. Am in touch with head who will help I am sure but head is new and not sure of their experience level at this.

Foamshrimp Tue 13-Feb-18 09:52:37

All good ideas thanks! Will start a list and call first thing Monday.

FanDabbyFloozy Tue 13-Feb-18 09:53:19

Last year, this happened to a child we know. She had sat a lot of schools so didn't look serious for any. In the end, she went boarding.
As a boy, you've more options thankfully at 13+ even if it's hugely unsettling.
If you're at a prep now, I'd be insisting on the head hitting the phones on Monday - I wouldn't rely on waiting for the state school admissions on 1st March. This is more applicable at the top end - e.g. QEB or Habs, that is the question.

FanDabbyFloozy Tue 13-Feb-18 09:58:06

Xpost. If your head is new and hadn't built up credit in the local area, ask for the deputy or some other experienced person to do it.
They need to be able to say that your son is as academic/sporty/kind as all the kids they have sent to X and Y schools before, and back up with exam results internally. Knowing the child is key.

pigshavecurlytails Tue 13-Feb-18 10:04:57

That is shocking that the head hasn't proactively contacted you. If he's new you need to see the deputy asap, the whole point of a prep school is how good they are in this sort of situation. If you listened to them when you chose the schools to apply for, they should be helping you now.

Foamshrimp Tue 13-Feb-18 10:16:39

Thanks for the great advice all. Will get going!

AveEldon Tue 13-Feb-18 10:16:41

Your prep school head should already be on the case
This is what you are paying for!

I would expect your head to be both checking and replying to emails over half term so get in touch if you haven't already

Some lists will move once the state school offers come out

mumoftwokidsboygirl Tue 13-Feb-18 10:39:52

Kings House Richmond is another option. They are not overly subscribed.
Wetherby is expanding and literally giving Admissons for everyone.
Make a list and give to your head and call these.

Foamshrimp Tue 13-Feb-18 10:51:24

Thank you!!!

NWgirls Tue 13-Feb-18 12:56:33

Established coed independents in London are very popular and competitive - it is hard to find safe back-ups other than for very academic kids.

Here are two ideas for coed secondary schools which may be worth a late application - if the commute works: Northbridge House Hampstead and Kew House.

Both will be awaiting 11+ responses now, so will probably not know yet if the have a space, but worth registering your interest.if you are keen. Many of their offers will be turned down over the next three weeks.

I would also consider a state application if you don't have that in place alteady.

The prep to 13 route is obviously also an option, as suggested by several posters.

Good luck! It will probably work out sometime in March, especially as you have a prep (eventually) fighting for you.

Abetes Tue 13-Feb-18 13:20:52

I don’t want to be doom and gloom, but you have chosen two of the most competitive schools in West London with regard to applications per place in your original post. I very much doubt that you will get a place at Emanuel or Harrodian if you are not even on the waitlist so I would definitely come up with a plan B. There are coed secondaries slightly further out of central London which will have places come up either before the summer or nearer September. Or, go for a School until 13 and try again then. As previous posters have said, get your head of your prep school on the phone and see what can be done and what your options are.

Foamshrimp Tue 13-Feb-18 14:36:53

Thank you very much for your sage advice. I will add those to the list!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: