Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about St Dunstan’s in Catford

(9 Posts)
MrsWhirly Sun 11-Feb-18 12:29:31

Hello mummies in my phone.

We live near this school and considering it for our DD10 who is currently in year 5 local primary.

If you have had children accepted this year, or join year 7 in the last 2-years, I would be extremely grateful for your experiences - particularly the admissions process and How academically driven your child is?

We have discounted grammar for DD because whilst she is clever and bright, she is also creative and artistic.

Thank you all

spacecadet48 Sun 11-Feb-18 21:39:13

mrswhirly my DD attends St D she is now in yr 9. The headteacher had just started when she joined and he has made a number of changes. He is keen to improve the academic standard and this is reflected in his change to report cards and the new ISEB entrance exam. All DC are scored on homework, engagement in class, attendance and exam results. Children are given targets to improve and my DD is excelling in most areas. She also is in A and B teams for sport and does Lamda and is in the orchestra as she plays Cello. I think its a great school.

spacecadet48 Sun 11-Feb-18 21:44:09

I should add the new ISEB online exam is hard. They use it in eton,city etc as a prep test. It upset a few parents as their DC didnt get an interview. I know of DC who found it very hard. So my advice is that it is not an 'easy option' as it used to be seen as previously. For any prep your DC needs to practice ISEB tests and get used to timed exams. In the ISEB you do it all online and you cannot go back and check your answers. If successful for interview it is in a group and parents interviewed separately.

MrsWhirly Mon 12-Feb-18 08:13:43

Hi, thank you for your really helpful replies.

Can I ask what you think of the diversity of the school? I mean both race and social?

We are not a wealthy, or even a middle class family. DD’s grandparents have offered to pay if she gets in. So I’m worried she won’t fit in or we will be at a disadvantage.

Thanks again.

spacecadet48 Mon 12-Feb-18 08:43:53

mrswhirly it's a very diverse school and children come from all over south London. There is a healthy mix of children from different backgrounds. So don't worry about your DC fitting in, she would be absolutely fine.

MrsPatmore Mon 12-Feb-18 11:22:54

St D is very diverse. Why don't you apply for a means tested bursary?

lilybookins Mon 12-Feb-18 11:29:57

i thought it very diverse when I looked around. Definitely worth applying for a bursary but if you own a property they are quite keen for you to access any equity

MrsWhirly Mon 12-Feb-18 17:29:07

Thank you. We are thinking of applying for a drama scholarship. We are just st the threshold for a bursary I think. Glad to hear it’s diverse. Some of their pupils get on my train and are always so well behavedsmile

FeedtheTree Mon 12-Feb-18 17:30:16

No direct experience of it myself, but a friend of mine rates it very highly. Her DC were very happy there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now