Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Colfes vs Bromley High

(21 Posts)
truelove Sat 10-Feb-18 14:45:45

DD has full fee offers from both Colfes and Bromley High (and Farringtons, but we’ve decided that’s not the best fit for her). We loved both when we looked round, journey is about the same to both, facilities are great at both, one is girls one is co-ed (DD has no preference). Going to offer holders’ coffee mornings after half term to help the decision making process but would welcome any feedback from current parents. Thanks in advance.

HGMum39 Sat 10-Feb-18 21:39:13

They are both good schools. I don’t know anything about Bromley High I’m afraid. Colfe’s is certainly doing well academically and pressure is on there to get in the top 100. Junior school parents report that there is a lot of focus on weekly testing and results in the senior school which is putting parents off from staying at Colfe’s. It’s a good school if your child is very academic, sporty and can cope with pressure.

Lillylollylandy Sat 10-Feb-18 22:05:32

Where do you live, OP? Would it be an easy journey to one or the other?

truelove Sat 10-Feb-18 23:05:36

Thanks HGmum. It does seem to be a school “on the up” academically so what you say seems to make sense. DD did well in their test (but just under scholarship level sad ). I would say she is quite academic - top sets in her primary but not super bright. She’s not sporty but is looking forward to trying new sports. She’s more in drama, dance, music, art. I got the impression Colfes offers plenty of opportunities in these areas too.

Lillylollylandy - we are about equidistant from both schools - one reasonably short bus ride (about 3 miles) to both so neither is a deal breaker in terms of journey.

LadyLapsang Sun 11-Feb-18 00:13:08

They are both good schools and the children are usually very happy. How do you feel about single sex education? Where would she prefer?

truelove Sun 11-Feb-18 07:54:13

No strong feelings either way re girls school vs co-ed. DD really likes both so no strong preference from her either. It may come down to the toss of a coin if we still can’t decide after the coffee mornings smile

PettsWoodParadise Sun 11-Feb-18 09:23:09

Don’t know much about Colfes. DD was at BH and still has friends who are now in the senior school. Pluses of BH are the facilities, the GDST network, it works well with girls who need that extra boost. Minuses are some of the teaching isn’t as amazing as you might expect, I know a number who get separate tuition from an outside tutor; it is a hard school to be in if fees are a struggle and you can’t afford the extras (DD knows of girls who laughed and teased those who had an iPhone that was several generations old and didn’t have a designer bag).

LadyLapsang Sun 11-Feb-18 13:56:16

DC went to Colfe's, lots of sporting and other opportunities - good all round education, not an academic hot house. He knew a few girls at BH and the comment about the designer bags at that school definitely rings true from 10 years ago - not an issue at all at Colfe's and I never heard any child make a comment about the relative wealth or otherwise of fellow pupils at Colfe's, which is not the case with all London day schools.I know a number of mums of girls at BH and they are equally happy with that school. I seem to remember BH used to be cheaper, not sure if that is the case now.

truelove Sun 11-Feb-18 15:14:35

Thanks PWP and Ladylapsang. When I looked round BH 7 years ago for DD1 I did get an air of superiority from a very small minority of the girls but didn’t get that feel at all this time round. It felt a lot more grounded this time and I could see DD fitting in fine there. Equally, I could see her quite happily at Colfes too and your comments confirm the impression I got from the open morning and interview. Thanks for the feedback.

Sunbabies Thu 22-Feb-18 15:46:44

I was at the Taster Morning at Bromley High this morning. Both my DD & I never visited the school and we both liked it very much - beautiful grounds, senior management team looked caring and on-the-ball, the other girls around looked pleasant enough! (Although can't comment on the posh-attitude as you have to be in it to know it! And frankly I don't personally know anyone who has a DD schooling there)
Have spoken to another mother there who really liked it as well. Did you visit it this morning truelove? Hope your decision-making is made clearer after visiting the 2 schools.

Astronotus Fri 23-Feb-18 00:37:12

I have also heard comments from BH parents regarding teasing and comments to girls who didn't have the "right" accessories. Our experience of single sex v co-ed is that boys and girls mix well, especially higher up the schools, preparing them better for the outside world. There were more social pressures on our DD at her girls' school.

BirdieF Mon 26-Feb-18 09:39:45

Hi Truelove,
We have the same decision to make and wondered what you have chosen? We are off to colfe’s Offers holders’ morning tomorrow and as long as we are reassured there on a couple of points, we will be accepting a place there for our DD.

truelove Mon 26-Feb-18 17:07:29

Hi Sunbabies and BirdieF. I was at the BHS open morning last Thursday and the Colfes coffee morning this morning (I think they must be spreading out applicants this week to make numbers more manageable). At BHS we were shown round by a very impressive young lady from Year 12 and at Colfes, the Head and Deptuy Head spilt the group into two to do tours. Both schools are equally as impressive but I think we have decided on BHS, purely down to “gut feel” at the end of the day as I think both schools would be a good fit. Good luck with your decisions.

BirdieF Tue 27-Feb-18 17:59:07

Thanks truelove!
Accepted our DD’s place at Colfe’s today. Wishing your daughter all the best at Bromley High...another lovely school..we have been very lucky to have the choice 😊

seesea Sun 04-Mar-18 12:41:45

Hi OP how do you get a full fee offer at Colfes - or does that just mean you pay the full fees?

truelove Sun 04-Mar-18 14:55:28

Hi seesea - yes, an offer of a place without any scholarship or bursary.

Mablecable Fri 09-Mar-18 21:10:30

My DD is a senior at Bromley High, and she has experienced no bags, iPhone etc teasing or comments. I asked her based on this thread as she has a very out of date Nokia! Her words that there was much more tesingg about bags at her last state primary school. We also have a bursary so I guess we are quite sensitive to any suggestion of this kind of teasing and I remember it being a concern when we were considering school.. But it has worked out really well and DD couldn't be happier.

PettsWoodParadise Fri 09-Mar-18 21:22:43

Yes, but also Mablecable you may well be genuine but you have no other posts and I know of others in the past who used to post about schools (not just BH) who were not quite who they seem but anyone can see my history of posts and know I haven’t come onto MN to post one particular thing.

user1495443009 Fri 09-Mar-18 21:47:08

I do know someone who goes to BH and has been teased for her hair and colour. Kids can be nasty sometimes; saying that her mum seems happy with the school and younger daughter will go there too.

Mablecable Fri 09-Mar-18 21:49:39

Hi I changed my name because I thought my DD may be identifiable from the details I had given linked to my usual posting name and obviously didn't want that. I completely appreciate that Bromley High has like many schools, negative points but the iPhone bag thing, which was a worry mentioned earlier in the thread, we have not come across.

truelove Sun 11-Mar-18 09:59:14

Thanks for the comments. We’ve handed in our acceptance and deposit cheque now so I guess we’ll find out soon enough anyway! I’m pleased to hear your daughter is happy at BH Mablecable. DD can’t wait to start.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: