Talk

Advanced search

Colfes vs Bromley High

(9 Posts)
truelove Sat 10-Feb-18 14:45:45

DD has full fee offers from both Colfes and Bromley High (and Farringtons, but we’ve decided that’s not the best fit for her). We loved both when we looked round, journey is about the same to both, facilities are great at both, one is girls one is co-ed (DD has no preference). Going to offer holders’ coffee mornings after half term to help the decision making process but would welcome any feedback from current parents. Thanks in advance.

HGMum39 Sat 10-Feb-18 21:39:13

They are both good schools. I don’t know anything about Bromley High I’m afraid. Colfe’s is certainly doing well academically and pressure is on there to get in the top 100. Junior school parents report that there is a lot of focus on weekly testing and results in the senior school which is putting parents off from staying at Colfe’s. It’s a good school if your child is very academic, sporty and can cope with pressure.

Lillylollylandy Sat 10-Feb-18 22:05:32

Where do you live, OP? Would it be an easy journey to one or the other?

truelove Sat 10-Feb-18 23:05:36

Thanks HGmum. It does seem to be a school “on the up” academically so what you say seems to make sense. DD did well in their test (but just under scholarship level sad ). I would say she is quite academic - top sets in her primary but not super bright. She’s not sporty but is looking forward to trying new sports. She’s more in drama, dance, music, art. I got the impression Colfes offers plenty of opportunities in these areas too.

Lillylollylandy - we are about equidistant from both schools - one reasonably short bus ride (about 3 miles) to both so neither is a deal breaker in terms of journey.

LadyLapsang Sun 11-Feb-18 00:13:08

They are both good schools and the children are usually very happy. How do you feel about single sex education? Where would she prefer?

truelove Sun 11-Feb-18 07:54:13

No strong feelings either way re girls school vs co-ed. DD really likes both so no strong preference from her either. It may come down to the toss of a coin if we still can’t decide after the coffee mornings smile

PettsWoodParadise Sun 11-Feb-18 09:23:09

Don’t know much about Colfes. DD was at BH and still has friends who are now in the senior school. Pluses of BH are the facilities, the GDST network, it works well with girls who need that extra boost. Minuses are some of the teaching isn’t as amazing as you might expect, I know a number who get separate tuition from an outside tutor; it is a hard school to be in if fees are a struggle and you can’t afford the extras (DD knows of girls who laughed and teased those who had an iPhone that was several generations old and didn’t have a designer bag).

LadyLapsang Sun 11-Feb-18 13:56:16

DC went to Colfe's, lots of sporting and other opportunities - good all round education, not an academic hot house. He knew a few girls at BH and the comment about the designer bags at that school definitely rings true from 10 years ago - not an issue at all at Colfe's and I never heard any child make a comment about the relative wealth or otherwise of fellow pupils at Colfe's, which is not the case with all London day schools.I know a number of mums of girls at BH and they are equally happy with that school. I seem to remember BH used to be cheaper, not sure if that is the case now.

truelove Sun 11-Feb-18 15:14:35

Thanks PWP and Ladylapsang. When I looked round BH 7 years ago for DD1 I did get an air of superiority from a very small minority of the girls but didn’t get that feel at all this time round. It felt a lot more grounded this time and I could see DD fitting in fine there. Equally, I could see her quite happily at Colfes too and your comments confirm the impression I got from the open morning and interview. Thanks for the feedback.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now