Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Whitgift 11+

(7 Posts)
Waterloo Sat 10-Feb-18 12:43:43

Could anyone help with 11+ decisions-does anyone have views on Whitgift? Also Harrodian, Reeds, Epsom and St Johns? smile thanks!

havinganightmare Sat 10-Feb-18 18:08:47

We chose Whitgift a few years ago - it was a tough choice!. DS got hampton and st. Johns offers but in the end it came down to personal choice and the best fit for DS. It wasn’t the most convenient but it felt right. All the schools you mention are fab (though I know less about harrodian). Several friends have thriving DS at the other schools you mention. MY DS has done brilliantly at W and had amazing opportunities. Good luck with the decision. Go with your gut!

Waterloo Sat 10-Feb-18 22:17:49

Thanks for your message. Are you still a current parent? We are in Richmond and nervous about two tubes there and back although maybe we could move to a bus! The results look great - is it very academic? How much homework do they get? Thanks for taking the time to help me.

havinganightmare Sat 10-Feb-18 22:45:39

Yes we are still there. Yes it’s academic but they have something for everyone. They get the best out of them. That’s a long journey but not much more than ours. They cope well. Quite a few of the parents in our year did move actually! It’s a long day and they’re busy boys. Decent amount of homework but they teach them to manage it Lots of sport (if they want it) clubs arts drama music everything. It’s definitely for boys who want to get involved. But I’m sure that’s true of all the schools you have offers at. I know Epsom is a long day but again they cope and absolutely love it. John’s too. Good luck. Glad I don’t have to navigate that again!! If it helps I’ve made some seriously good mates there when I wasn’t expecting to do so at senior school. Great mix of fab people.

spacecadet48 Sun 11-Feb-18 21:29:38

My eldest went to Whitgift. Loved the school . It competes with the top schools with academic results. I think in 2015, 26 children got into Oxbridge Universities. Our DS2 has just been offered a place this year too and we are delighted. The commute for him is two trains. Its a very doable journey and my eldest was fine with the commute once he met friends!

Waterloo Wed 14-Feb-18 09:46:35

Thanks for your responses. Space cadet, are you taking Whitgift? Which 2 trains would your DS be going on?

spacecadet48 Wed 14-Feb-18 10:09:34

waterloo yes definitely. We are in Dulwich so train to west Croydon and another from there to south Croydon. There is a school bus option and that might be an option for you. Although I did that with my DD and within a month she stopped using it preferring to travel with friends on public transport

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: