Talk

Advanced search

St Johns Leatherhead 11+ 2018

(15 Posts)
Littletonoidea Wed 07-Feb-18 21:53:12

Has anyone had experience of being on the Heads list for St Johns Leatherhead? Our son is on this list post his 11+ and am interested if it actually moves, if people on it do get offered places or if its a polite way of saying thanks but no thanks. We were told not to expect that there would be any movement before the cut off time for acceptances (4th March), we'd expected that there would be people moving off the list before that though. Any feedback/advice gratefully received

Leeds2 Wed 07-Feb-18 21:55:05

My friend's DS got a place from the waiting list. He is in Year 8 now.

Sunshine5050 Wed 07-Feb-18 22:32:23

It's hard to gauge because St J's have moved the goal posts this year with more dc sitting and a higher overall level needed to get in. A lot depends on how many dc with St J's offers get RGS, Hampton, KGS, Wimbledon High plus more on Friday. Epsom was out today.
But a ds from my ds's Prep got in last year via the list - it has moved in the past. You need your school head to make the call & put pressure on.

Bthewoofwoof Thu 08-Feb-18 11:26:43

My son was on it last year & didn’t get in, despite them saying he had a really good chance blah blah.
At least 2 boys got in who didn’t even sit the Jan entrance exam because they thought they’d get RGS. They did the exam for St Js in Feb. I thought that was a tad unfair.

Littletonoidea Thu 08-Feb-18 19:50:35

Okay thanks for the info, doesn't sound massively positive being on the list then! Better to know though

trojanhorse2 Thu 08-Feb-18 22:06:32

As posters have said there will be movement at some point. People do even relinquish places after they have paid deposits, if their 1st choice offers off the waiting list.
Did St J's give you any indication how high up the list your son is? If your son is at prep can they advise? It all depends how much they over offer i.e. 90 for 60 places etc. and how many offers are rejected. They may not offer a rejected place if there are still 70 odd offers in play. Surbiton High were massively caught out about 5 years ago and ended up having to have an extra form!

tink07 Thu 08-Feb-18 22:56:46

Is it 11+ or 13+ entry you are looking at? Boy v Girl? There are many more places available at 11+ (since the lower school opened) compared to 13+ and generally easier for a girl v boy.

Agree in terms of it depends on how many offers the school makes, how many get offered another school, likelihood of acceptance and gender ratio?

I do think St.J at the moment is in a rather tricky situation. They are attracting a lot of well rounded academic children who historically would have had St. J as a back up and then gone to a more well known academic school.... but they are offering great pastoral care, lovely leafy facilities and a new head/deputy head and growing academics.. and they have opened up the London bus routes, combined with a flexi-boarding offering.... .

I feel sorry for admissions as they try and second guess parents aspirations/sensibilities especially in a situation of an up and coming school.

Unsure if they have over offered, or if they rely on offers to those they want and then will 'work' the waiting list.

pringles999 Fri 09-Feb-18 16:33:16

I had a similar experience as woofwoof last year, I have to say I found their wait list very opaque. I suspect that they also face difficulty of maintaining relationship with prep heads who have for years sent on pupils and now being faced with applicants from far afield.

Good luck ...it's a tough time, but soon a distant memory...!

Sunshine5050 Fri 09-Feb-18 18:01:07

In the case of the dc who got in from my ds's Prep it was the Prep head who got him the place. I don't know how much St J's over offered but I will be giving up a place plus another dc I know. We were at the open day for offers this week and it wasn't over-run with dc, either those who wanted it didn't need to re-visit ie siblings or many waiting for other places and didn't want to revisit.

Littletonoidea Sat 10-Feb-18 07:31:30

Marvellous thanks for the insight, fingers crossed there are more like yours out there who got offered another school that they preferred as well. Plus congrats to your ds, must have been a lot of hard work so hopefully they feel pretty proud of how well they've done

user1488362582 Thu 15-Feb-18 14:04:59

We too were at offers morning last week and was surprised to see the number of new bus routes on offer, including mortlake and richmond etc .Perhaps an indication of the schools increasing popularity ? Does anyone have a child already at the school who can give some feedback on the school and perhaps some insight into how things might be changing (if at all) under new head and deputy head.

JessyJames Sat 17-Feb-18 22:37:34

I have a child at St John's. Very little change since new head started. Deputy has only been in post for half a term.
I'm sure there will be changes once the head has settled and has made a plan.
I'd like to see a shorter day and no compulsory chapel on the allocated Sunday evening!

user1488362582 Tue 20-Feb-18 11:37:53

Is your child happy ? are you pleased with your choice ?

wifeywish1 Tue 20-Feb-18 19:31:17

I have two children at St Johns and am very pleased with the school and think the new Head is quietly impressive. She is only 1.5 terms into Headship so early days and suspect changes may come in due course. The school is just about to invest in a new sports hall / swimming pool / dance studio which will bring these facilities up to a level with e.g. Epsom College.

JessyJames Tue 20-Feb-18 20:46:59

It took a year to settle, but now they're very happy. Mainly due to all their friends going to different schools.
It was the right choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now