Talk

Advanced search

Books for a reluctant Year 8 reader

(12 Posts)
Shesaysso Tue 06-Feb-18 20:39:54

Hi

Can anyone recommend any books for my thirteen year old daughter. She used to read a lot when she was younger, but now just doesn't ever pick up a book.

Everything I try her with she says is boring - doesn't like anything like Harry Potter. The book she's most enjoyed in recent years is Wonder.

I think now she might prefer something akin to the Sweet Valley High books that I read when I was younger - hardly literary classics but it might get her reading again.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

trinity0097 Tue 06-Feb-18 21:20:25

Geek girl series?

TabbyTigger Tue 06-Feb-18 21:41:13

It depends what she’s into but my DDs like:
Gallagher Girls series (boarding school for spies)
Elizabeth Laird’s books (Garbage King, A Little Piece off Ground, Red Sky in the Morning)
Eva Ibbltson’s books (perhaps a bit young but they still re-read them so it might get her back into reading)
Across the Universe series by Beth Revis (a teen fictiony sci-fi series)
The Maze Runner series (see above)
The Hunger Games series (see above, as I’m sure you know!)
Love, Aubrey by Suzanne La Fleur
Katie Flynn’s books (family drama stories set mostly in war time/20th century - my 12yo literally devours them.)
Philippa Gregory’s books (historic fiction)

They also liked Diary of a Wimpy Kid and they’re definitely an easy read and I know lots of reluctant readers (boys and girls) who still like them!

Ashers40 Tue 06-Feb-18 22:42:56

My DD recently read book after book by Judy Blume, very easy reading and might get her interest. Now reading the Hunger Games and Twilight books. Also how about There’s a Boy in The Girls Bathroom (Louis Sachar). I enjoyed it too when I found myself with nothing to read on holiday, and it’s a little bit like Wonder.

TabbyTigger Tue 06-Feb-18 22:58:58

Oh mine love Louis Sachar as well! DD2 read his book Holes in one sitting!!

madworld67 Wed 07-Feb-18 09:02:45

Murder most Unladylike Series by Robin Stevens. my daughter loved them around age 13

katalex Wed 07-Feb-18 12:22:01

My 12 year old dd (13 next month) is enjoying reading the Chocolate Box Girls series. She's also enjoying reading Moondial and will be moving on to The Chronicles of Narnia next.

loopsdefruit Thu 08-Feb-18 17:30:39

Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series (Uglies, Pretties, Specials, Extras) would be good if she liked it, because he's writing 4 more books in that series.

Garth Nix might be good for her (Sabriel, Lireal, Abhorsen)

Louise Rennison (Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging etc...)

halcyondays Thu 08-Feb-18 17:35:58

Jean Ure and Gwyneth Rees are good and easy to get into.

BlindLemonAlley Thu 08-Feb-18 20:18:11

Place marking for inspiration smile

Shesaysso Thu 08-Feb-18 22:16:27

Wow, thanks for all the ideas. Surely she's going to like something that's been suggested.

shere Fri 09-Feb-18 11:11:07

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (whole series) Sue Townsend got my daughter back into reading when she got bored of reading at aged 11.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now