Talk

Advanced search

CLFS v KGS - Input needed!

(13 Posts)
AMR2357 Mon 05-Feb-18 20:34:29

Hi all
I have a 13+ girl who has offers to CLFS and KGS for Year 9 and she's undecided. Any input welcome. She is a math kid, highly academic and studies hard, a little quiet, but likes her sports -- football and golf. She also enjoys playing piano and loves art. She's keen on the potential for Art scholarship at KGS but we haven't heard yet. We happen to be from the US but she is comfortable here in England having been here before, and she prefers coed/mixed. I would love input on for example how each school deals with accelerated math students and what is the lifestyle. I have no warm and fuzzy on either one. KGS was much harder to get into statistically but does that make the school better? I don't know.... Thanks in advance!!!!

HunkyDory69 Tue 06-Feb-18 00:21:34

One super Mathsy boy at KGS gets separate tuition as so far ahead of the top set. They are also very good for the Arts & talk about STEAM not STEM ie including the Arts
A really lovely normal school with best interests of pupils in their care. Plenty of SEN diagnosed and provision made on entry to the school.

HunkyDory69 Tue 06-Feb-18 00:22:24

Believe that both football & golf available to girls at KGS.

nocampinghere Tue 06-Feb-18 08:15:48

Every sport is available to girls at KGS. The head of sport is female.
There is often a girl in the top cricket team in each year for example as well as girls teams.
They are streamed for maths from Christmas in yr7 and there are many very able mathematicians, both male and female.
But i can't comment on CLFS - they seem very nice on the hockey pitch!

anothercantthinkofanothername Tue 06-Feb-18 08:19:28

Nocamping- can I ask a KGS question? Do they do any gymnastics at all? I think I remember some equipment in the gym when we looked around! I know it's not a major sport but just wondered if they did any at all?

nocampinghere Tue 06-Feb-18 08:27:12

re gymnastics - they do a bit in PE from time to time in the school gym, I guess it's one of the PE topics as DD did it for a few weeks before Christmas but really not much.

anothercantthinkofanothername Tue 06-Feb-18 08:30:27

Thanks! Trying to figure some things out in case we get an offer on Friday!

nocampinghere Tue 06-Feb-18 08:46:45

Good luck!

AMR2357 Tue 06-Feb-18 09:44:29

Thanks for the comments - very helpful positive things. It seems like people genuinely like the school. The admissions process has been quite formal with little feedback, e.g. what I am getting from the school itself is not as warm. CLFS has been much more laid back, although their tour/open day seemed disorganised.

CountessDracula Wed 07-Feb-18 13:17:07

I have a dd in Y10 - it is a really lovely school, it feels very 'normal' which is a huge bonus
Plenty of extension stuff for the v bright
Very good for all rounders - they have an accelerated set for top Maths students
Outstanding pastoral care, I have been so impressed with this aspect
No specific gymnastics that I am aware of, just in PE sometimes
DD reports excellent teaching
It isn't too draconian and the homework load is not too onerous.

I don't know about CLFS - hopefully someone from there will come along soon to advise you

trojanhorse2 Thu 08-Feb-18 21:51:47

My daughter is at CLFS in yr 8. She loves it. She is quite quiet, into art, very academic and used to lean more towards maths but is currently excelling at english! I am interested that you say KGS is harder to get into. CLFS only offer appx 20 places to girls and boys at 13, and many of those are offered at pre test at 11 - I think that is tough! I think the children in the year are very able in maths and the difference between groups is marginal. But the top group moves at a faster pace, and has an option of further maths GCSE in yr 10-11. Girls football and golf are offered as extra curricular lunchtime clubs in the juniors but next year will be the seniors, so you would need to check.Where do you live?

CountessDracula Fri 09-Feb-18 15:07:37

KGS only have 10 places at 13+ trojanhorse!
The odds at 13+ are not good at any school that has a mainly 11+ intake I think

trojanhorse2 Fri 09-Feb-18 18:36:46

That makes sense the journey in KGS is too tricky from Surrey, so never looked into it.
CLFS announced today that that they are introducing cricket for the girls, if that makes any difference!
I find the school very nuturing, and celebrates success. The junior head is exceptional but I have no experience of the senior school head. The head himself is very inspiring. My daughter is extremely happy and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: