Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

LEH and putney high waiting lists 2018

(72 Posts)
Nailbar Sun 04-Feb-18 10:38:39

Anyone know much about these from previous years? How many girls are in the list and do they move much? Thanks

Elibean Sun 04-Feb-18 11:58:20

Hi Nailbar, no idea and as you probably know PHS says there is no pattern. But we're on the PHS wait list (though probably accepting elsewhere) so happy to wait with you smile

AnotherNewt Sun 04-Feb-18 12:02:19

I've been through this!

There is no way to predict how waiting lists will move from year to year.

Are you on the waiting list for one or both?

If you are currently at a prep, you could have the head of school transfer find out what is going on with waiting lists after there has been a little while for responses to come in (maybe after half term?) Or enquired yourself if they expect to see much movement this year.

Nailbar Sun 04-Feb-18 12:07:42

Thanks for your replies. We are on both lists and at state primary.

anothercantthinkofanothername Sun 04-Feb-18 12:09:43

We're on the list as well and also State Primary. Will probably take another offer though.

anothercantthinkofanothername Sun 04-Feb-18 12:12:42

I think PHs are planning a lot of building work this year so they may have been fairly conservative in their offers as won't want to over offer and too many girls. There may be a fair bit of movement on the waiting list therefore - but haven't got a clue really- just guessing!

Roseredvelvet Sun 04-Feb-18 16:20:43

Hi, dd & 3 of her friends also waitlisted at PHS, I'm assuming there won't be much movement until after 5th of March when all offers have to be accepted by. Hopefully we'll hear something before then 😊

Nailbar Sun 04-Feb-18 17:09:18

Thanks roseredvelvet. Sounds like they have loads on the waiting list. I suppose it's all about where u are on it and whether offered girls get anywhere they prefer.

Roseredvelvet Sun 04-Feb-18 17:56:49

Nailbar I know for a lot of girls PHS was their safe school and if they are offered SPGS, LEH or G&L they will take those up instead.

Nailbar Sun 04-Feb-18 19:04:56

Thanks redrosevelvet. Lets hope so!

CameliaG Mon 05-Feb-18 10:30:50

They vary hugely from year to year. Putney didn't go to waitlist last year but perhaps that would have made them under offer this year? If you are a state school applicant you must be you own champion (prep heads will be phoning on behalf of their kids). Let them know it is your first choice. Phone - a lot- don't email!

Jeezimacasalinga Mon 05-Feb-18 11:05:15

My DD and a friend (both state school) received PHS offers - it's my DD's top choice, so we will be taking up the place, but her friend prefers WHS so will potentially free up her offer fairly soon. I'd imagine that's the case for many - best of luck to all the girls on the waiting list, this whole process is so tough for all involved!

Roseredvelvet Mon 05-Feb-18 11:34:29

Jeezimacasalinga are the WHS offers out yet? We haven't received anything yet, unless that means a 'no' or another waitlist 😢

Jeezimacasalinga Mon 05-Feb-18 11:47:47

We didn't apply to WHS, but according to my friend, they are posting this Thursday, so you should hear by Friday. Wish they would all just email us on the same day! Best of luck once again.

anothercantthinkofanothername Mon 05-Feb-18 11:50:09

The info from WHS said they were posting results this Friday- good luck!

Roseredvelvet Mon 05-Feb-18 12:02:52

Thanks, at least there's still a glimmer of hope.... Good luck everyone!

orangeplum Mon 05-Feb-18 12:45:36

Nailbar
I would second the recommendation above. If it's your first choice school phone the Registrar and tell them. Let them know that if they were to offer you would accept and come round with your cheque. Schools want to get their lists finalised and as time goes on they can lose candidates. Keep in touch and don't be embarrassed to call more than once - plenty of others do. PHS or LEH also won't know how many of their own girls decide to move on as well as acceptances so it will be fluid.

Good luck and I hope you get what you want.

Nailbar Mon 05-Feb-18 15:32:49

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate all your comments. Good Luck!

tickingthebox Mon 05-Feb-18 15:41:25

From being on a waitlist in prior years virtually no-one declines an offer, so you have to wait for the deadline for the fee to be paid to pass (early March) before any waitlist offers are made.

This may mean you have to confirm at another school if you have a firm offer and then decline - losing you the fee - if you go with the waitlist place.

This all means that very few waitlists get dished out prior to (5th? this year) March and waitlists still get offered out right up to and after September.

We had an offer at one school which had to be confirmed by 10th March last year and got the waitlist place at our preferred school on 5th March... This meant our confirmed place wouldn't have been 'declined' until 10th March etc etc.

I also meant that I was prepared to pay the £1000 fee to confirm the place and would still have gone with the waitlist if it came up later - so lost the £1000, just glad I didn't have to in the end.

Also with waitlist you have to confirm really quickly, we had 24 hours. So be prepared to move fast when the offer comes.

Nailbar Mon 05-Feb-18 17:15:21

Thanks tickingthebox, fab post!

Thisdoesnotgeteasier Tue 06-Feb-18 09:01:02

As one of the other posters mentioned, I am pretty sure PHS did not go to waitlist last year. Certainly none of the girls we knew on the list got an offer.

It’s a really frustrating process. DD was waitlisted by two schools last year, including her first choice. I phoned the school once a week and spoke to the admissions officer to reiterate our strong interest and the fact it was DD’s first choice.

There was no list movement (at least for us) until the Friday afternoon right before the Monday reply deadline for most private schools. We then got calls from both schools to offer a place. And I am sure there were further offers given to others the following week as the deposits hit (or didn’t).

Elibean Wed 07-Feb-18 14:37:05

Interesting info, sounds like a bit of a lottery (nothing new, eh?!).

I wasn't going to phone or hassle PHS at all, as the letter seemed to be requesting us not to? Does it really make a difference to call them? Maybe I'm too compliant hmm

Elibean Wed 07-Feb-18 14:38:12

Another snippet: from my brother, whose dd is in Y10 at PHS "I think they're taking a bigger group this year, as they do that every other year and last year they didn't"

Can't vouch for accuracy at all, but might account for the lack of movement on the wait list last year - that, or over offering.

tickingthebox Wed 07-Feb-18 15:56:56

I should just add, my experience was with schools that were more likely to move to waiting list.

I called and emailed my preferred school, saying I was waiting for them and they were our 1st choice, and would confirm immediately if they called us.

I got DS's head to phone as well, he found out more than I did and was given a heads up as to where we were on the waiting list (we were very high) - this isn't normal though and most don't find out. He confirmed we were keen and reiterated our preference for the school.

I think we therefore got the first call on the waiting list, and we confirmed there and then on the phone.

Elibean Wed 07-Feb-18 16:00:03

Thanks, Ticking - I know some schools (eg Emanuel) are much more likely to discuss wait lists. Putney says its against their school policy, so I think I'll stick to my original tendencies wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: