Talk

Advanced search

Townley or Bexley Grammar?

(7 Posts)
Kate223344 Sat 03-Feb-18 23:28:53

Does anyone know approximately what % of 11+ places at Townley and Bexley grammars are state school pupils and what % are from private schools?

I'm starting to think about primary v prep schools with a view to possibly doing private up to 11 then (hopefully) grammar after that. We can't afford private all the way through.

It's too early to say whether our child will be academic or not (and of course there are many other factors that would influence our choice of school, including ethos/values and sports etc) but it would be helpful to know.

Taffeta Sun 04-Feb-18 08:18:53

I’m sure you could contact Admissions at both schools and ask for this information

Not really sure what it will tell you though - other than how unfair the 11+ system is

If you’re interested in seeing how good a prep is at getting it’s pupils through the 11+ it’s best to check each prep school’s leavers destinations

If you’re not sure how academic your DC is and you have spare cash sloshing about I’d suggest a good state primary supplemented during Y5 with tutoring ready to take 11+ at start of Y6

Then if unsuccessful spend money on private secondary

Teenmum60 Sun 04-Feb-18 13:35:10

Not really answering your question but one of my friends DD's is at Townley - she was in a state primary but a high achiever. Friends Dd doing well at Townley but took sometime to adjust to the fact that she was now in a school where there were lots of even higher achievers.

wineoclockthanks Sun 04-Feb-18 14:41:46

Please be aware when looking at the leavers destinations of the private primaries in Bexley etc that nearly every child has also had 11+ tutoring outside school.

Kate223344 Sun 04-Feb-18 18:52:50

Thanks for your replies. I'll give it more thought!

kareno38 Tue 12-Jun-18 13:48:41

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Astronotus Wed 13-Jun-18 14:05:47

If the prep school has an attached senior school they will generally not teach for the 11+, as why lose customers? Only prep schools that finish at year 6 generally teach for the 11+ (and sometimes not even those). I would aim for state primary with a top up of tutoring from beginning of year 5.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: