Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Best Secondary Schools In Bedford

(13 Posts)
maddik123 Wed 31-Jan-18 22:19:11

We are currently looking to move to Bedford and my two daughters will have to change their secondary schools. We were wondering what some of the best secondary schools were as we are extremely concerned about their education alongside an environment that is calm and a place where issues with other students are dealt with quickly as we were a little put off by the GCSE results of some schools there.

Piggywaspushed Thu 01-Feb-18 07:16:24

Whereabouts in Bedford and how old are they?

There are two different systems in operation in Bedford Borough / Central Beds.

Piggywaspushed Thu 01-Feb-18 07:59:40

Apologies : three! Three different systems!

CBB79 Thu 01-Feb-18 08:10:32

The Harper Trust schools are very good - think it's Bedford Girls School and Bedford modern. They are fee paying though.

Piggywaspushed Thu 01-Feb-18 08:17:13

Yes, and that's what almost directly causes the problems for the state schools. Ho hum. Just interested whether you know that from experience or just from local say so? Sorry to sound spiky but I have been tutting at that statement and the misspelling of Harpur for about 20 years!

To be neutral, though, there are other HT schools, too. And other private schools. But I'll wait until OP gets back to say what her plans are. Bedford has been a bit of a mess for the last 10 years, largely due to a failed political consultation to change the systems. And now it is a bit piecemeal because some schools went ahead anyway. But many of the schools are getting better. And GCSE results were wonky in lots of schools last year across the country, of course.

Feel free to PM me , OP. Lots of local insider knowledge and children who have been at 4 different schools and a DH (and me) who work in them.

mastertomsmum Thu 01-Feb-18 10:39:48

Mark Rutherford
Goldington
Sharnbrook

According to my SIL (Primary teacher with secondary aged kids)

Piggywaspushed Thu 01-Feb-18 10:59:07

Sharnbrook is quite a long way out of Bedford , though.

Generally the schools with the best reputations are the ones that are still upper schools. Lots of political turmoil at Sharnbrook which ahs had a few consequences in the area. Still a very popular school, though.

Goldington has just become a secondary : no sixth form. I would slightly worry about the expertise of teachers to teach above about year 9 - it is a bit untested to date. But my friends speak warmly of it.

I moved house to get out of Rutherford catchment...

Hersetta427 Thu 01-Feb-18 12:31:59

Have you checked with the local authorities or the schools themselves about where there are vacancies.

Piggywaspushed Thu 01-Feb-18 13:12:57

This is also important!

Teenmum60 Thu 01-Feb-18 15:00:53

I would steer way from Mark Rutherford - I moved my DD into a HT school after 18 months of quite challenging behaviour by some children in the school.
Very happy for you to PM me about HT schools.

SleepFreeZone Thu 01-Feb-18 15:02:44

Sharnbrook seems to have s very good reputation.

TryToRelax Sun 18-Mar-18 22:05:58

Piggy - can I PM you about the school options? We are also moving and trying to plan ahead. Thank you!

taryndasilva Fri 13-Jul-18 20:25:35

Hi,

Just found out we need to move to Bedford so our kids will be starting years 5, 6 and 7 in September.

Which primary schools would you recommend?

Also what order would you rate these High Schools from best to worst:

Bedford Academy
Biddenham
Castle Newnham
Daubeney
Kempston Challenger Academy
Mark Rutherford
Wixams Academy

Thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: