Talk

Advanced search

Page 2 | Emanuel School entrance exam today

(113 Posts)
Ginandtonictime Sat 13-Jan-18 16:59:08

Anyone have a dc who did the 11+ entrance exam today? How did it go? Getting the impression that the current exam season is harder than ever this year ...

OP’s posts: |
Tolacar Mon 29-Jan-18 17:53:13

When do the Emmanuel results come out?

helloSW15 Mon 29-Jan-18 18:05:31

Think they're posted on Thursday 9th Feb..

sh1111 Mon 29-Jan-18 18:35:25

Indeed. Just before the half term...

Tolacar Mon 29-Jan-18 19:00:17

Thank you....long wait it is then!

helloSW15 Mon 29-Jan-18 19:46:17

We've had one result- no more now until the 9th and Ibstock is even later...

orangina Mon 29-Jan-18 23:08:46

When are Ibstock posting out their results helloSW15, do you know?

helloSW15 Mon 29-Jan-18 23:29:34

I can't remember exactly but it's on their website I think it or least written in some of the info we were sent. It's our last choice to be honest and we have an offer from one we all prefer so I've forgotten about it really!

testbunny Tue 30-Jan-18 11:37:47

Good news HelloSW15! One less candidate from the 1000 to worry aboutwink

helloSW15 Tue 30-Jan-18 12:21:17

Ibstock's our last choice, not Emanuel!

testbunny Tue 30-Jan-18 12:49:45

Ah, sorry! blush

helloSW15 Tue 30-Jan-18 13:52:24

But I do know about 3 people who won't take Emanuel if offered so only 997 others to worry about!

little0miss0mac Wed 31-Jan-18 22:06:38

Delurking, after weeks of obsessively reading all the very helpful 11+ threads.

Does anyone have a feel for how much Emanuel over-offers at 10+? I'm guessing that with sibling policy plus not much competition at 10+, they don't offer much past their 48 places? Do they operate a waiting list?

Clearly, having this knowledge will make zero difference to the outcome but it's still a week away and I need more material to obsess over grin

Stircrazyschoolmum Thu 01-Feb-18 12:15:01

We live on the doorstep of Emanuel and put our dc’s name down as soon as the registration for 2018 opened. (As did many local parents.). We paid the deposit in good faith believing that our ‘top of middle state primary child’ stood a far better chance of entry than at some of the more academic indies.. so I can’t help but feel a tad frustrated that the school then changed the goal posts and nearly doubled the amount of children that sat the exam. (Am I right in believing they also added a second year 6 class?)

Given their shoddy ethics it’s got me thinking about whether I really want my child to go there after all.. although quite honestly I’m unlikely to get to make that decision now.. hey ho.. the exam and interview were good experience if nothing else. 😬

little0miss0mac Thu 01-Feb-18 12:52:15

Don't know about doubling entry levels for 10+, though I think it happened for 11+. We too are very local, son near top of state primary class, and have had name on the list for a long long time.
I swing between feeling hopeful and then trying to ready myself for the inevitable disappointment. Son is reasonably oblivious!
As you say, it's all practice for next year... but would be so much better if it didn't have to be!

testbunny Thu 01-Feb-18 12:56:25

It may have been something to do with the new Head coming in. I think they had a lot of disappointed people who missed the deadline and he may have wanted to make it fairer. The school is definitely getting more popular; they had a very good ISI report not that long ago, and of course the population is growing!

lottiebear69 Sat 03-Feb-18 08:55:11

I have sons currently at emanuel. There are now 2 x year 6 classes and when they started in year 7 there were 5 classes in total they add another class in year 9 so end with a total of 6 classes with about 23/24 in each. Hope that helps.

SugarRush123 Sun 04-Feb-18 02:09:38

Stircrazy, I don’t understand what your problem is with Emanuel’s ethos? Do you think they should limit their intake to those who live nearby, or to those who are part of some secret club and know to register early, before most people have started to get their heads around Secondary schools? What’s fair about that?

As someone who registered way early (even though it’s not on our doorstep but in the train line, so one of the schools DC can realistically get to), yes I was dismayed to find that numbers went from 600 to 1000 this year. But I won’t whinge about it as IMO children who registered just after the open day in September of year 5 deserve a chance just as much as my child does! I feel bad for DC’s friends whose parents listened to our prep school head and only started looking around schools in Year 5, missing the boat for Emanuel.

The 11+ process has been brutal and I still don’t know if DC has won a place anywhere (couple of rejections/waitlist, couple of long shots still to come including E). I hate the process and have been disappointed by some schools that despite professing to look at the “whole child” clearly decide just on the basis of the exam on the day. DC has had rejections by schools that our prep school recommended as “bankers” based on their CAT scores. DC seems to have panicked on the day.

Emanuel felt different, giving everyone a thorough interview, asking for extracurricular interests and achievements well before exams etc. But I may be reading too much into it and they’ll also just go by exam results, in which case >1000 children for 90 places doesn’t seem good...

sh1111 Wed 07-Feb-18 08:23:57

Sick with worry. As the results day comes closer, I find it hard to get on with my daily routine, even though this is my 3rd time around. Perhaps this is because DC3 is quite different from the other two...and even though she has a lot to offer, the competition for places is getting tougher and tougher as the years go. Wishing you all positive results this Friday,

SugarRush123 Wed 07-Feb-18 08:36:07

Sick with worry here too. Not my first time either but a very different experience this time - it’s got so much worse sad

testbunny Wed 07-Feb-18 08:51:14

Yes, I'm absolutely certain it's tougher than ever before. DCs who are top of highly-rated primary and have had tutoring are not even getting interviews!

sh1111 Wed 07-Feb-18 09:41:26

It is so sad we beat ourselves with this; a colleague I sit near me is awaiting her husband’s medical tests results - I am just too embarrassed to even mention what is bugging me 😔

sakurabashi Thu 08-Feb-18 10:07:27

I believe the letters are out today. Do you know the size of the envelope for 'no'? I assume it will be DL size thin ones. But it could be C4 size (but still thin)...? I'm such a sad person!

sakurabashi Thu 08-Feb-18 10:09:40

Those who are saying it's not your first time, do you have your older ones at Emanuel already? If so you have a big fat chance to have 'yes', I presume? I have only one, no siblings, so feel the competition sky high...

Tolacar Thu 08-Feb-18 10:22:27

Are you sure? I thought they were being posted today so we should get them tomorrow right?

little0miss0mac Thu 08-Feb-18 10:26:54

Yes, posted today.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in