Talk

Advanced search

Senior boarding schools w/ excellent sports/golf programs and learning support?

(28 Posts)
Richcat Sat 13-Jan-18 15:45:32

Hello! Currently attending an international school in Paris, I am looking for an intimate caring boarding school in the UK for my soon to be 13 year DS. Really haven't thought of a UK boarding school until a DF recommended UK schools. Academically a B student but needs some learning support to keep him on track.
Good sports programs is a must especially golf. Sports make DS happy but I don't want to give up on academics either. No preference on location. Any ideas?

Mary21 Sat 13-Jan-18 16:13:33

Reed’s? How good is he at golf? I think they have a relent programme for golf.Not sure how many full boarders they have.
Shrewsbury?
Bedes? If golf more of a hobby

Mary21 Sat 13-Jan-18 16:14:20

That should read talent programme not relent!

katplva Sat 13-Jan-18 16:19:53

St Leonards school in St Andrews has a good golf programme, I'm don't know it well enough to tell you about the learning support available.

happygardening Sat 13-Jan-18 16:52:40

St Edwards Oxford has a 9 hole golf course and strong learning support dept for mild to moderateish SEN. But you might have missed the boat.

Richcat Sat 13-Jan-18 17:52:33

Thanks for such good feedbacks so fast. My DS plays golf on a competitive level so a little more than hobby. Willl check out Reed's, St Edwards Oxford or St Leonards. They all sound good. How are they academically? Is the entrance for St Edwards Oxford already closed?

VienneseFingers Sat 13-Jan-18 18:31:45

Wellington College does golf: www.wellingtoncollege.org.uk/

I don't know anymore about it than that though, I just walked past their golf course one day!

user1469682920 Sat 13-Jan-18 18:37:56

Bradfield college - beautiful course and competeive golf. Good learning support and pastoral and wide academic ability range within the school. Masses of other sports too (though football not rugby) and CCF etc along with good music and drama etc

trinity0097 Sat 13-Jan-18 18:48:28

Millfield in Somerset

motherstongue Sat 13-Jan-18 19:21:59

Scottish boarding schools Spring to mind to be honest. Loretto School just outside Edinburgh would be a good option as they run a golfing academy and offer golfing scholarships. It is a relatively small school with a nurturing environment and according to a friend whose son had dyslexia they were very supportive. They have access to some of the best links courses in the world.

Glenalmond College in Perthshire in Scotland also do golfing scholarships which started in 2008 when they gave the first one to Carly Booth who was, I think, the youngest women's Scottish Champion. They have their own 9 hole golf course next to the College in the most beautiful rural surroundings. Again quite a small school about 400 pupils.

Another PP suggested St Leonard's in St. Andrew's. It is next to the most famous golf course in the world but they do the IB as opposed to A levels so it would depend how you feel about that.

My DS went to Harrow, in London, and they too have a golf course. I don't recall a golfing scholarship specifically but if he is really good this type of Old Public School would perhaps make an offer. With regards caring and nurturing though I'm not so sure. Our experience is you need to be relatively robust, however, they do have good academic support.

Michaelahpurple Sat 13-Jan-18 20:43:39

I think you might have timing problems. If he is soon to be 13 I assume he would be in year 8 in the UK which means that he has missed entry for all the so called 13+ schools. I TH ink you are therefore hoping for an occasional place at an 11+ entry school which complicated things.

Ramanama Sun 14-Jan-18 19:44:05

Merchiston Castle School in Edinburgh is an international boarding school (English qualifications) with a golf academy.

firstboard Tue 16-Jan-18 11:09:05

I think admission process for 13+ Boarding schools are over for 13 year olds. You may have to try for next year admissions

1805 Tue 16-Jan-18 17:19:49

Radley has a golf course - but I don't know anything about golf, so can't comment if its good or not.
You can go via the sports scholarship to try and get a place. It will be imminent, if not gone though. Web site will have details of dates I'm sure.

TeenTimesTwo Wed 17-Jan-18 11:26:30

Stowe School in Bucks?

No up to date knowledge but I remember by DB doing golf there I think 40 years ago...

t1mum3 Wed 17-Jan-18 13:14:46

Try Cranleigh in Surrey which is very sporty, has a golf course and is good with learning support (including for above average achievers)

ScipioAfricanus Wed 17-Jan-18 17:48:06

Cranleigh good for golf.

tenbob Wed 17-Jan-18 17:52:13

Millfield

They have 2 golf courses on the school grounds and some of the best learning support of any boarding school

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 17-Jan-18 17:53:40

I'd heard Millfield for golf too.

tenbob Wed 17-Jan-18 17:58:03

https://millfieldschool.com/senior/sport/sports/golf

https://millfieldschool.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Senior/Academic/learningsupport/LSCbooklet-Sept_2017.pdf

CraftyGin Wed 17-Jan-18 17:58:42

Loretto for golf.

Needmoresleep Wed 17-Jan-18 17:58:56

Greshams?

Crumbs1 Wed 17-Jan-18 18:02:44

Wellington has strong academic entrance requirements.

BeachysFlipFlops Wed 17-Jan-18 18:08:17

Seaford College has its own golf course and a large learning support department....

BeachysFlipFlops Wed 17-Jan-18 18:10:00

Here is the link
http://www.seaford.org/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now