Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

List of good secondary schools (private and state)?

(14 Posts)
minababelina Tue 12-Dec-17 22:14:02

Hi, we are starting to look for schools for DS (Year 5) and would be really grateful if someone could give us advice on the options for both state selective and private schools not impossible to reach from Hackney. DS is quite academic, plays the piano well, is very interested in Science and is not the typical football-mad boy (actually, he can't play at all). We are not so keen on the schools in our catchment area. Behaviour and the fact the football seems to be the 'currency' are the main issues. Latymer (Edmonton) would be ideal, financially and also because that's where DD goes to. But he's not as focused and we are not sure he will perform well under the pressure of an exam. We thought about Hockerill Anglo-European College (but the commute…) and St Mary Magdalene Academy in Islington. Are we missing interesting options? Has anyone have experience of the two above? He's also taking the 10+ at City in January, but we would only consider it for next year with some sort of financial support. We are not rulling out other private schools. Any other ideas out there? Thanks very much!

Hersetta427 Tue 12-Dec-17 22:55:34

You won't into hockerill unless you pass the highly competitive aptitude tests for the 12places available or you could try for a boarding place.

Farfallina123 Wed 13-Dec-17 08:27:50

Mossbourne? Operates a lottery system for kids in the outer catchment area spreading through to the Islington borders. Friends' kids have thrived there, academically, pastorally and musically. Tends to divide local opinion regarding its discipline policies, but parents with kids there (albeit a self selecting cohort) are overwhelmingly positive about their childrens' happiness and attainment.

Forest is the other school option that Hackney families consider in relation to independent schools. Less tough to get into than Latymer and City. Good on the 'whole person' pastoral ethos. Attainment rising as the cohort becomes more selective. Good outcomes.

Mary Mags gaining in stature each year. Supports kids to be focused, hardworking with an international global outlook e.g. mandarin, and the international baccalaureate.

Davros Wed 13-Dec-17 09:50:02

William Ellis
North Bridge House Canonbury

Lotsofsighing Wed 13-Dec-17 10:03:35

I'm not sure Mary Mags is worth travelling to though they are very much positioning themselves as a sort of semi-selective school. The Language Aptitude test requires the same sort of prep as Latymer so I'm guessing your son would do well (and in reality wouldn't have to do that well, they go quite far down the list). I suppose what I'm saying is that it's a local comprehensive, albeit a good one, but is that really better than your local ones? Having said that, the exam is very low stress so it's a useful one to do and have as an option.

Forest seems very generous with their scholarships (ie most schools only offer bursaries or nominal scholarships but they offer up to 50% I think).

Y6 at City (from the experience of friends' children) is pretty hardcore. Your son has to be pretty mature to step up like this a year early. I know it's quite late in the day, but why are you doing the exam? We didn't because we decided we weren't 100% going to send him there so it seemed like stress we could do without. If you do the 10+, then the Latymer test, then the 11+ the following January, it can feel that a whole year is blighted - two lots of Christmas holidays and the end of the summer holidays.

Moominmammacat Wed 13-Dec-17 12:02:35

DAOS for Islington children?

MrsPatmore Wed 13-Dec-17 12:16:50

City quite competitive and any financial assistance is very competitive- funding will only be given to the top academic scorers.

minababelina Fri 12-Jan-18 21:48:38

Thanks, Hersetta427. I was wrong on the school's name (which shows how cluelessness I am!). It's Anglo European School, in Ingatestone, not Hockerill... We speak Portuguese and German at home, so it would be an option. But I'm not so sure. Need to visit and talk to parents.

minababelina Fri 12-Jan-18 21:58:55

Thanks, Lotsofsighing and everyone else for the replies! DS was invited today to an interview at City (10+) and will also do the music assessment later in the month. But I will keep my options wide open!

Hersetta427 Fri 12-Jan-18 22:02:50

The one in stortford has much better results and reputation - I would definitely consider that one in preference. The aptitude tests are highly competitive- you need to score above 96% to get a place. You might be want to consider a boarding place. They have more boarding places available than aptitude places.

Hersetta427 Fri 12-Jan-18 22:06:11

I should have said that hockerill school in stortford is called hockerill Anglo European college and is an affiliate of the one in ingatestone but gets much better results.

camcam1 Sat 13-Jan-18 08:15:01

Forest school? Not too far from Hackney? Their tests are very academic- however I am told as long as you do well you have a chance. They used to have old papers on their website. It’s a lovely co Ed independent. It was too far from us to seriously consider.

minababelina Sun 04-Feb-18 18:20:04

Thanks everyone for the messages! DS was offered a place at CLS (10+). We will visit tomorrow and probably take the place. Lotsofsighing, I think we managed to convince DS that sitting exams can be interesting, even fun... So although there's always an element of stress, it's not too bad. And the more you do it, the less stressful it tends to become. He did the St Paul's (Deferred exam for 11+) recently and really enjoyed the experience. Results for interviews are out on Monday, but we are not planning to consider it...Too far from N16. City is a bit closer and we really loved what we've seen so far. Then, in August, we will do the Latymer Edmonton exam... Thanks again!

MrsPatmore Sun 04-Feb-18 19:31:42

Congratulations! City is a great school.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: