Talk

Advanced search

Spelling and Grammar support

(7 Posts)
WindyWindy Wed 06-Dec-17 11:50:33

My 12 year old is in a mixed ability English class with no homework. We live next to the school and have enough spare time to do something at home.

Her spelling and written work is rather scattergun but she is quick on the uptake and wouldn't need a lot of repetition.

Any recommendations for a book to work through to provide us with structure and a plan?

TeenTimesTwo Wed 06-Dec-17 13:58:57

Posting to see what others suggest as I could do with knowing this too.

karriecreamer Wed 06-Dec-17 14:14:45

I'd have thought that just encouraging her to read more books would be a good start. The more you read, as long as it's quality, the more you notice the spellings and pick up the grammar etc.

theEagleIsLost Wed 06-Dec-17 15:04:17

So I'd be very interested in any suggestions as well.

I'm waiting on someone at school to get back to us with some suggestions - though our issues are mainly spelling related for our 12 year old.

At home we've worked through apple and pears books, most of the Spelfabet work books and IXL English word analysis bits and we do everything we can to encourage reading and use audio books to introduce classics and expand vocabulary. All we get told is she spelling is an issue which we all know.

user1498927651 Wed 06-Dec-17 15:40:58

'I'd have thought that just encouraging her to read more books would be a good start. The more you read, as long as it's quality, the more you notice the spellings and pick up the grammar etc.'

This is not always the case. My year 7 is an avid reader with a reading age of 15 1/2. His spelling is just below the average for his age.

WindyWindy Wed 06-Dec-17 16:29:40

She has always read a lot although her interest has waned lately.

There's no issue with vocabulary or general knowledge. That's why I feel there is plenty of scope to improve formal writing with grammar knowledge and focus on spelling. But this is not going to be on the agenda at school. (We are not in England and have a different education system that my others have been through so I've seen roughly what's ahead.)

I wanted to start something this year while shes still amenable and we are years away from the exam stuff.

WindyWindy Wed 06-Dec-17 16:40:55

TheEagleIsLost thanks for those tips, I'm off to surf the web!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: