Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Changing schools in year 7 at comp can you do a taster day?

(14 Posts)
Middleoftheroad Wed 06-Dec-17 07:35:27

I'm thinking of changing DS' secondary school (yr7 comps). It's a long story..

We are currently top of another school's waiting list (though considering private - his twin is at grammar and loving his school). I want to get the move right and wondered if you get to have a taster day at another comp first or you just have to go for it?

noblegiraffe Wed 06-Dec-17 07:42:29

You can visit the school for a look around, but then you just have to go for it.

Middleoftheroad Wed 06-Dec-17 07:53:49

Thanks - I will arrange a visit during the day (not been offered a place but want to be prepared). It's so hard to know if a school is the right fit until you are actually in it and even then things can change.

Seeline Wed 06-Dec-17 09:00:50

I would ask the school. Some do have taster days but I think they all have their own rules. The worst that can happen is that they say no.
I would have thought the private school would allow it - they seem more accommodating of such things.

Gymntonic Wed 06-Dec-17 09:39:46

I'm sure a reasonable school would also want to make sure you and your son are happy with your decision. Ask them.

PanelChair Wed 06-Dec-17 09:48:44

Do ask, but I'd be surprised if a large secondary school would offer a taster day for one child.

MumTryingHerBest Wed 06-Dec-17 10:00:52

make sure you and your son are happy with your decision

What decision would that be? They've not been offered a place, they're on the waiting list.

ThunderboltsLightning Wed 06-Dec-17 10:12:33

You could ask. They might allow your child to shadow another pupil for the day bit tbh waiting lists for oversubscribed schools can be quite political so they might not want your child to look as though they're having preferential treatment. They might also feel it's unfair to get your child's hopes up when they can't offer a place.

MumTryingHerBest Wed 06-Dec-17 10:18:14

Middleoftheroad I'm not sure if I'm getting you confused with someone else but was your son offered a place at a Grammar School but you chose to stay with the comp.?

If so it could be worth placing your son back on the waiting list for that Grammar School. I know that some yr7 places have now become available at one or two of my local Grammar schools. I suspect a few more will be up for grabs at the end of the school year too.

MrsPatmore Wed 06-Dec-17 10:54:25

I think you are the poster who turned down the grammar place? I would also say try to get on any of the GS waiting lists. Can you sit for a 12+ place? Keep phoning the LA for spaces.

AlexanderHamilton Wed 06-Dec-17 11:03:42

Go for a visit. I moved Ds from a selective to a comp at the end of year 8. I knew it was the right decision by how the teachers spoke to him & how I observed they handled a difficult probably sen student with understanding & tact & not trying to hide stuff.

crazycrofter Wed 06-Dec-17 19:21:04

Middle, maybe you should wait until next term? Ds told me today that someone left his school only last week to go to the grammar your other twin is at! So a space may come up? Have you rung the school this week?

Middleoftheroad Wed 06-Dec-17 19:30:31

Thanks all - sorry, been at work...
Yes, I am she...the one whose school place was taken away in June for no reason and we were forced to appeal (the comp he's now not happy at!) and the one who turned down grammar (because he was happy at the comp at the very beginning). A fortnight after declining the grammar we realised we had made a mistake but it was too late sadThe place was not available again..

Crazy, my son (the other twin) mentioned a new boy had started, will call up tomorrow thanks smile

crazycrofter Thu 07-Dec-17 20:58:59

@middleoftheroad any luck??

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: