Talk

Advanced search

St Swithun's 2018

(10 Posts)
toughgetsgoing Wed 06-Dec-17 03:13:02

Have read mixed reviews on the school on here but they seem a bit old some of the threads, after more up-to-date info about the school and the environment. Looking for September 2018 we're expats coming from HK for 13+ and we used to live in Alresford. Thanks!

toughgetsgoing Wed 06-Dec-17 03:14:32

DD also applied to Godolphin and Downe House. She's fairly academic and plays the flute and harp and netball and lacrosse at her international school.

toughgetsgoing Wed 06-Dec-17 07:47:36

bump!

Mondrian Mon 08-Jan-18 08:09:03

St Swithuns is more academic than either Godolphin or Downe House but not as much as KES in southampton. They are pretty big on netball and lacrosse (2+ hrs/week) & encourage co-curricular activities. There is also a lot of positive behaviour guidance.

BubblesBuddy Mon 08-Jan-18 13:52:37

Heathfield at Ascot is on the up academically and plays lacrosse. CLC play lacrosse. St Swithuns is about the same as DH and CLC really. Academics vary year on year and depend how you measure them! It where a girl is happy that counts for a lot more. Presumably you need a harp teacher? This may be more of a problem one would have thought.

MargaritaHoshimiya Wed 18-Apr-18 13:50:34

I mean I go to this school (came in 14+) and I can say the admissions is very not selective. Really easy entry test. The headmistress like to broaden the types of students we are taking in, so I guess that's why the criteria went down. Good school if you're not reasonably academic, the teachers go in a plodding pace, so people don't struggle. They try their best to help those who are not confident in what they're doing, but I'd say putting any of those children into state school won't get them a glimpse of what grade they're getting here. Happy environment, lots of lax training, sporty school.

Coroico97 Thu 19-Apr-18 12:50:55

My daughter started recently and is very happy boarding there. She came from a pretty pushy and academic London school and finds the pace fine. It is well set up for boarders, weekly and full I would say. Headmistress - in my experience - is very good. Do PM me if you want more up to date info. Very sporty and musical. There must be a harp teacher as I went to a concert at Christmas which was amazing - and at least one, if you two, girls playing the harp!

jugglingexpat Wed 25-Apr-18 08:02:18

We have been living overseas for some time and our children have travelled with us, attending international schools. We're due to return to the UK when the elder two (girls) are at the end of Year 12 and the end of Year 10. Clearly this would not be ideal so we're looking at sending them to boarding school to avoid difficult mid-GCSE and mid-A Level moves. Both are doing fine academically and love sport, music, art etc. We're looking in the Hampshire area as have family links there and would be grateful for advice on Godolphin, St Swithuns, Hampshire Collegiate, Bedales and any other schools within reasonable striking distance of Winchester. Thank you!

toughgetsgoing Thu 26-Apr-18 03:50:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

toughgetsgoing Thu 26-Apr-18 04:09:39

We do not need a harp teacher.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: