Talk

Advanced search

A Level choices

(18 Posts)
Swarskid2184 Tue 05-Dec-17 21:44:50

My DD is in the middle of her mock GCSEs and has to choose her A level subjects this week (awful timing!)

She is good at lots of subjects- predicted 8 or 9 in all subjects. She had always wanted to do a science degree- initially to be a vet, then marine biology or something like that. But is doing exceptionally well at English and history at the moment...

So, her current options are:

1. Maths, biology and chemistry; or
2. Maths, History and English lit

So different and still no idea of degree choice...

Any advice?

BackforGood Tue 05-Dec-17 21:56:35

Can they only be one of those options or the other, or is something like Biology, Chemistry and do them with History / English Lit?

Swarskid2184 Wed 06-Dec-17 07:20:26

Maths is her only definite choice, which then limits other options

jeanne16 Wed 06-Dec-17 07:42:46

She really must try to look beyond school to what she wants to do at uni and then choose her A levels with that in mind.

haircolourhelp Wed 06-Dec-17 07:48:54

Is IBacc an option?

Gymntonic Wed 06-Dec-17 07:50:00

Maths is a great definite choice - whether she ultimately chooses humanities or sciences. PPE courses and social sciences love Maths.
I'd suggest she asks which courses fill up quickly or have limited spaces. Biology might be one if it's anything like my DD's school. Bagsy those options and leave the final choice til whenever she has a clearer idea. There may well be wriggle room in the Spring term and after results ( as some people won't get required grades/ choose other settings etc.)
Not easy is it ? She's got some good solid options there though.

titchy Wed 06-Dec-17 07:50:24

She may be doing well in history and English but does she actually enjoy them? Does she want to spend her spare time reading different genres, periods, analysing them etc?

TheFrendo Wed 06-Dec-17 08:14:13

To keep Vet Sci open as an option I think you do need two sciences.

noblegiraffe Wed 06-Dec-17 08:21:18

Has she read the Informed Choices booklet? It might give her some ideas?

www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5272/informedchoices-print.pdf

LIZS Wed 06-Dec-17 08:30:47

Are the syllabi for History and English A level to her taste? That can hugely affect the result. Could she pick 4 and drop one? So maths, bio, chem and probably English.

tiggytape Wed 06-Dec-17 11:10:48

Whilst they may want them to indicate their A Level choices, anything she says at this stage is not going to be binding so, whilst she should have a good think about options and narrow it down, she shouldn't panic that she's closing off any doors if she picks 3 or 4 now.

It's all very open until much later on.
Not everyone in her year group is necessarily predicted the very top grades so anything they pick is dependent on getting the required GCSE results (which won't be known for over 8 months yet).

And people will still be changing their minds even after the start of term in Year 12. All schools expect this (some may accommodate it more readily and with greater flexibility depending on their timetabling so if she can pick definites, like maths, that is good but it's not the end of the world if she can't absolutely decide on the rest within the next few days)

Iprefercoffeetotea Wed 06-Dec-17 14:15:58

I think doing sciences keeps more options open than humanities (I say that with a heavy heart as a humanities girl myself) but ultimately I would choose the three subjects I enjoyed the most/was likely to get the best grades in.

A combination like Maths, Biology and History could open a lot of doors without closing too many.

senua Wed 06-Dec-17 14:29:44

I think doing sciences keeps more options open than humanities
I agree with this. I also agree with checking syllabi for History and English.

Are you applying to more than one sixth form? If there is one locally that does well in Sciences then apply there for Science A Levels. Then do ditto for the sixth form that does well in Humanities.
Have a close look at A Level grades subject-by-subject and see where they excel (and where they don't). It's not all about her, you need to see the various sixth forms' track records and leavers' destinations.

MrsEricBana Wed 06-Dec-17 14:34:04

Honestly I think if she's "always wanted to do a science degree" then she should do maths, biol and chemistry from those options.

ifonly4 Wed 06-Dec-17 15:15:14

If she doesn't have any idea of what she'd like to do in the future, I'd say chose whatever she enjoys, so in her case chose the science options. It's worth considering what they study though as that may have some influence.

Options can normally be changed when they are confirmed and then again early in Sixth Form. My DD chose music, geography and biology as she thought biology would sit well with geography and be favoured by unis. She hated it, so went for what she really wanted, Religious Studies, and was so glad and relieved she did. Her options might not gel together, but she's enjoying them and there will be a course out there somewhere for her.

BubblesBuddy Wed 06-Dec-17 16:09:14

Science courses require sciences and often maths. My friend’s DD has had to do a Foundation year for vet med at Nottingham because she didn’t have Chemistry A level. Therefore do check the exact requirements of the degrees. It certainly is not just “two sciences” for vet med. They must be what they want. For ultra competitive courses you really have to hit all the buttons.

If she no longer wants a science degree then Maths with two humanities is fine.

pipilangstrumpf Wed 06-Dec-17 22:18:48

Can she start with 4 options? At our school all pupils take 4 Alevels in yr 12 and some drop one at the end of that year. That way they can keep more options open.

Swarskid2184 Tue 12-Dec-17 21:57:04

So in the end she went for Maths, Biology and Chemistry...with History as a 4th choice. Thanks for all the advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now