Advanced search

Moving to America

(27 Posts)
NearlyEaster Mon 04-Dec-17 19:29:56

Does anyone know how viable it would be to move kids from UK to US school systems for three years at the start of Y8 and Y10?

TheSecondOfHerName Mon 04-Dec-17 23:14:49

I don't know about the move in that direction, but what's going to happen when you want to move them back in three years time? They won't be able to go back into Y11 and Y13.

EmpressoftheMundane Mon 04-Dec-17 23:18:39

US only goes through year 12. So the first would graduate and the second would be only a year away from graduating. Perhaps viable if it was a state with good schools and you stayed 4 years so that both would graduate. You might then also have established in state residency which means very cheap university tuition if you use that states public university.

saffinmum Mon 04-Dec-17 23:25:44

Hi.. we moved to the US when DS was in UK year 6 and DD in UK year 8 and stayed for 2 years. We came back for DD to do GCSE's here.. The move to the US is no problem - the move back was trickier - some subjects they are ahead of their UK peers (Math, English) some they are behind (Science, History). As the previous poster points out.. it's almost impossible to step back in to Y11 and Y13 unless you can find an international school that teaches UK syllabus or that covers the IB (and even then it would be really tricky). The two schooling systems really don't 'work' together very well. We really didn't want to come back and did a lot of soul searching and research to try and make it work..
Sorry not to be super positive..

TheSecondOfHerName Mon 04-Dec-17 23:26:54

The child going into Y10 will be 14, so would go into 9th grade.

The child going into Y8 will be 12, so would go into 7th grade.

TheSecondOfHerName Mon 04-Dec-17 23:38:37

I have an idea which might work:

Go to the US for 3 years. Eldest does 9th, 10th & 11th grade. Youngest does 7th, 8th & 9th grade.

Then return to the UK and put them into an American school in the UK for a year. Eldest does 12th grade and graduates. Youngest does 10th grade then transfers to a UK-system Further Education college at age 16 to start GCSE courses and/or vocational level 3 courses.

NearlyEaster Mon 04-Dec-17 23:39:14

Thanks for all the replies.

When does the school year start in the US?

We could return at any point before the three years if it suited them educationally. What would be a good break point for the eldest? Is there one before Y12?

I don’t think we’d stay for 4 years - we’re perhaps more likely to do 2. That might suit the younger DC - returning to start Y10. And eldest would be in time for Y12.

Is there any GCSE equivalent?

NearlyEaster Mon 04-Dec-17 23:45:07

So perhaps we’d be better putting them into an international school doing iGCSEs to facilitate the move back?

TheSecondOfHerName Mon 04-Dec-17 23:46:06

The youngest could very feasibly return after two years and start Y10, especially in a school that does two-year GCSE courses rather than three-year courses.

Most schools take new entrants into Y12. Most courses have entry criteria based on GCSE results, so you'd have to research US equivalency for these.

TheSecondOfHerName Mon 04-Dec-17 23:51:05

So perhaps we’d be better putting them into an international school doing iGCSEs to facilitate the move back?

This would enable more options to be open to them when they return.

USUK Tue 05-Dec-17 04:42:55

There is no GCSE equivalent. High school in the US is for 4 years, 9th—12th grade, which is the equivalent of Y10-13.

NearlyEaster Tue 05-Dec-17 07:31:41

Does this look right?

NearlyEaster Tue 05-Dec-17 07:39:29

If we stayed for three years could my eldest feasibly go to uni with a High school diploma?

I’ve seen some mention of AP exams - when are these taken?

I’m thinking the youngest could drop back a year into Y10 to start GCSEs which would be ideal as a summer born boy.

TheSecondOfHerName Tue 05-Dec-17 09:35:33

If you're happy to pay, an independent school might take a just-turned-15 year old into the beginning of Y10.

A state school is unlikely to agree to this.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 05-Dec-17 11:16:26

When we moved to the USA we were both moved up a school year based on the work we had already done (I had just finished year 11 and my sister had just finished year 10) and the work was still quite easy. I still did French but the highest they had to offer was French 5 which was below the standard I had already studied but at least I was able to study it.

With your older child I would probably make sure they finished their secondary education there, with the younger I'd get them back before year 10.

Many people I know who were relocated to the States send their kids to board in the UK if they are unable to tap into International Schools offering igcses/A levels.

homebythesea Tue 05-Dec-17 12:49:32

THe other thing you need to consider is residencevrequirements for UK universities (if that is a likely route for your eldest) - if you are only back for 1-2 years before he goes you may be classed as an overseas student with very high fees (and no access to student loans) to boot

NearlyEaster Wed 06-Dec-17 18:55:05

Thank you for all the guidance!

I think we’ve found a more appropriate option with a school offering the IB award. That will keep them in sync with UK school years.

Uni etc isn’t a worry - they’ll be classed as having resided in the UK.

TheSecondOfHerName Wed 06-Dec-17 19:46:34

The IB sounds like a v.sensible option

homebythesea Wed 06-Dec-17 20:49:17

How will they be classed as living in the UK if they have not been resident for 3 years?

ksb76 Thu 07-Dec-17 02:37:27

We are at an international school in the USA and you still need to be careful of move years - beginning of Y10/Y12. Even with the IB - there is no chance of moving an IB Diploma student in the middle of the course (end of Y12). The kids that arrive at our school having started it elsewhere have to restart it again.
Be aware too, that IB Dip does not suit all students, particularly those looking to study physical sciences at Uni.

NearlyEaster Thu 07-Dec-17 19:48:11

Do you think a move at he start of Y10 & Y12 would be OK?

Homebythesea - If overseas temporarily for work.

homebythesea Thu 07-Dec-17 23:27:48

A lot of “mays” in that (as opposed to “will”) personally I would be nervous

poisonedbypen Thu 07-Dec-17 23:31:46

Most schools now start GCSE courses in year 9.

NearlyEaster Sat 09-Dec-17 22:07:44

Poisonedbypen - that is a concern. I suppose we’d have to make a call at that point on the best plan of action.

Apparently IB is good for English & Maths. Between the two of us we can support Science and Humanities so hopefully we could get DS2 on track.

Homebythesea - I’ve got no doubt at all it will be fine but thank you for highlighting it. We’ll be treated as having been living in the UK whilst we’re away.

titchy Sat 09-Dec-17 23:24:27

Genuinely OP do NOT count on SLC regarding your dc as ordinarily resident in U.K. I have seen lots of students in your situation make that mistake - it is unfortunately open to interpretation. There is also no guarantee the chosen university would regard your dc as Home for fee purposes either.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: