Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Anyone with DDs at Mayfield Girls School?

(12 Posts)
giddybiddy Mon 04-Dec-17 17:36:59

Am thinking of Mayfield for my DD and wonder if anyone has any experience of it please? Particularly regarding the music and drama which I didn't really get a sense of when we visited... Thanks so much.

CatherineM10850485034 Tue 05-Dec-17 10:34:42

Yes - we are at Mayfield and love it. Daughter is super happy. We went for lots of reasons as they have so much to offer - and one of them was for the drama, which is excellent. We are not musical but I know their music department is very good and they have a lot of success with oxbridge. Above all, it's a very nurturing and kind place - something for everyone in a calm, supportive and stress free environment, which is something I was keen to find as an alternative to London day schools - of which we have a great choice in SW London. Although, Mayfield work very hard, they also have a good time around the academics. Every minute of the day is accounted for - including the weekends if full boarding (we live in London so my daughter can be dropped home and returned to school every weekend - but she likes to stay, if she can, for all the activities). I'm sure if you wanted to visit again, they would focus their tour around the drama and music offering if you asked - I think there is so much to see, it's hard to take it all in. Good luck with your search. It's a huge thing for all the family to decide but research well and go with the one you love. X

PettsWoodParadise Tue 05-Dec-17 13:16:04

No experience of the school but just checking that you are talking about the same school, there is a Mayfield Girls grammar in Kent, then a Mayfield School in Sussex, an Independent RC Girls' school. There may be other schools of the same name elsewhere that I don't know of.

CatherineM10850485034 Tue 05-Dec-17 16:57:24

Ah! I never knew. We are at Mayfield Girls School, in the village of Mayfield, East Sussex - very close to Tunbridge Wells...

giddybiddy Wed 06-Dec-17 14:17:24

Thanks so much CatherineM, that is the school I was asking about and that is so good to hear. DD is very keen out of all the ones we are looking at... She would be a day girl, do you think they miss out on a lot? They said it was fairly evenly split day/boarders..

YouOKHun Mon 08-Jan-18 19:15:09

My daughter is a day pupil though this year due to exams she is choosing to flexi-Board for two nights a week. I would say it’s a good balance between a healthy shove in the right direction but nurturing at the same time. Their results have been excellent especially when you consider that it has a broad range of abilities. I don’t think your daughter will miss out by being a day girl, it’s pretty even and there isn’t an obvious focus on one or the other.

CatherineM10850485034 Mon 08-Jan-18 20:49:38

Hello - so sorry for the delay, I missed this message... re day girl / boarder activity - day girls can do much of what is offered to the boarders, including the many clubs and activities at weekends. Day girls can flexi board in the week or just stay for one or two nights in the term if they would like a sleep over with their friends! The school day finishes around 6pm for all girls as they do homework together. Hope that helps! Good luck with your decision. Let me know?! Best wishes. C

giddybiddy Thu 11-Jan-18 20:23:47

Thanks both! She has a place and we are going back to have another look before deciding. Really good to have such positive feedback..

Ophelialovescats Thu 11-Jan-18 20:38:51

I would worry about the
'every minute of the day being accounted for ' bit as young people need to learn to make their own entertainment and reliant on their own initiative , at least some f the time in order to become fully functioning independent adults

CatherineM10850485034 Thu 11-Jan-18 21:05:07

Sorry - I can see how that could be concerning. It's more of a case that they have the opportunity to get involved with something. Of course, they have down time and the chance to do something that is not a 'club', whether it be quiet time to read, go for a walk, feed the animals or play a game of tennis with a friend. There are also lots of clubs on top if you want to take part but you don't have to do it all.

It's good to see the school day in action though and get a feel for yourself during a visit.

Go with what feels right for your daughter and for the family as a whole too. Good luck - it can be a stressful time moving to secondary. CX

CurlUpWithAGoodBook Thu 11-Jan-18 21:46:31

Does anyone know how many applicants, how many offers are made and how many of those in turn accept their offers?

giddybiddy Fri 12-Jan-18 12:46:16

I have no idea, there were about 65-70 girls at the assessments and the year group is usually between 50 and 60 I believe. I am sure there must be a number applying to more than one school...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: