Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

How to choose from Lancing, Epsom, Badminton, Headington, St. Catherine’s Bramley and Roedean

(8 Posts)
aud17 Mon 27-Nov-17 15:49:37

hi, we are oversea parents and are struggling to choose the right school for my girl for Year 9. My girl gets offer from Lancing College and Epsom College. My DD had an interview to the others and waited for taking entrance exam. However, we need to pay deposit to Lancing and Epsom. Therefore, I would like to seek some advice here as we haven’t visited to any schools before except Epsom college that my DD has attended Summer Camp there. My DD likes the farm in Lancing and the school environment of Epsom. However, she may need some discipline and guidance on academic. She is attending girls’ school in our country so I have applied girls’ school for her. For my girl, it’s not a matter to study single sex or co-ed school.
Actually, I am not sure which school will fit her and hope someone can give me some advice or information on any of these schools. I am concerning the full boarding activities or usually it’s a weekly boarding school, pastoral care, bullying issues etc.
Thank you very much.

LIZS Mon 27-Nov-17 21:24:18

You need to consider whether you want coed or single sex to rule others out/in. Which location did she prefer, Epsom is very close to London, Lancing near the sea and Brighton. The most successful kids we know of who attended Epsom tend to be sporty and/or academically strong.

trudylady12 Tue 28-Nov-17 02:49:44

After paying deposit to Epsom / Lancing, would your DD still take entrance exam of any other schools? Better you shortlist your schools choices first for next step.

toughgetsgoing Tue 05-Dec-17 07:14:12

It depends on your DD. St Cats and Headington are primarily day schools whilst Roedean is mainly boarding as is Badminton. Badminton and Roedean have a large proportion of students from Hong Kong and China as well as the Middle East while Headington and St Cats have different demographics. Academically St Cats leads and the push the girls quite hard I hear, which is good for a bright child. You can't really go wrong with any school I don't think though. Badminton is obviously smaller and more 'personal' perhaps better for a shy or quieter girl. I hear Headington has some eating disorders and the girls' schools you mentioned are more academic so they might stretch your DD better. Hope that helps.

aud17 Wed 06-Dec-17 14:55:52

Thanks all for the advice.

Dear Lizs,
We are choosing between Lancing and Epsom at this moment, both schools have its attractive side that it's hard to choose from.

Dear trudylady12,
We won't take the entrance exam of Headington and Roedean.

Dear toughgetgoing,
My dd is shy but active and not competitive. I think St. Cats maybe too pushy for her. I want to choose a school consider holistic development rather just focus on academic.

LIZS Wed 06-Dec-17 15:06:21

Ime Epsom is pretty competitive and cosmopolitan, if you are trying to avoid the stress of that it may be better to look elsewhere.

aud17 Thu 07-Dec-17 02:45:52

Is Lancing less competitive than others?

trudylady12 Sun 17-Dec-17 08:52:52

Have you decided which school to go to?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: