Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

IQ tests in school

(8 Posts)
Jardindhiver Wed 22-Nov-17 12:24:39

DS has just started year 7 and that school have just told me that they are going to give him a Mensa IQ test, along with about twenty others, in order that they can help him to reach his potential. I just don't see the point. They've already had CAT tests, endless assessments in each subject, and I just wish they'd get on with just teaching him; I just don't see what a further IQ test will tell them and I worry that it will result in a fixed mindset and comparison amongst the pupils that wouldn't be helpful, but I'm aware that I may be overthinking it. We have been given the option to refuse permission for the test and I'm not sure what to do. Any thoughts?

poisonedbypen Wed 22-Nov-17 12:35:13

I would refuse

Jardindhiver Wed 22-Nov-17 12:38:41

Thanks Poisoned. Would your concerns about it be the same as mine?

TheFrendo Wed 22-Nov-17 13:43:20

help him to reach his potential

That phrase in particular makes me gag.

Are they going to ensure that your son learns Sanskrit and the evolution of the fauna of Madagascar? I'll wager he has the potential.

He does not need an IQ test.

Jardindhiver Wed 22-Nov-17 13:56:16

My thoughts exactly Frendo. He's a bright boy but no genius, and it's well within the school's capabilities to stretch him, which I'm confident they will do. Anyway, as a state comprehensive, they don't have the wherewithall to teach much beyond the curriculum.

AlexanderHamilton Wed 22-Nov-17 16:46:31

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

Dd was given not a Mensa test but one they recognise following an 'interesting' cats profile. The results were indicative of a specific learning disorder & it turned out she has Aspergers so gets help & support in a particular area (she has a Mensa level IQ but was under performing due to a specific issue.

neverendingkarate Wed 22-Nov-17 19:04:43

Our school does this but it's presented differently so viewed more positively. Firstly it's completely optional. Secondly, the rationale behind it is to give the more able students self confidence, so they know they are up there with the brightest (important when they've seen other kids go off to selective grammars and private schools). It's the self confidence that will help them to achieve their potential, not the test itself.

neverendingkarate Wed 22-Nov-17 19:06:48

Worth adding that a surprisingly high proportion of the students sitting the test get the maximum possible score.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: