Talk

Advanced search

Sheffield schools

(5 Posts)
windowboxes Fri 17-Nov-17 10:07:06

We are considering moving near to Sheffield (probably Dore but possibly towards Peaks in Grindleford / Hathersage) in the next 1-2 years due to family but also schooling.

I am keen to hear people's views and experiences on the local secondaries, considering:

Sheffield Girl's High
Westbourne School
King Ecgberts
Silverdale

We have two DDs to consider in this, one would still be at primary for 4-5yrs but my eldest will be around 8-9 when we move. I would consider sending her to the private school (and possibly Girls only) all through if needs be. She is academically bright (towards top of her class at a good state primary), i think she would thrive in a small ish school where individuality is nurtured. Currently she is sporty BUT In all honesty I don't think this is her strongest point so could see that changing as she gets older (hopefully I am wrong!). She is also musical and loves drama. I have slight concerns that as she gets older she may not deal with stress / pressure brilliantly (younger sister is much more easy going) and that is something I am aware we may need to guard against. Although I think she could achieve a lot academically It's more about getting a school that she can be happy in.

Wondering if anyone has any children at these schools and could shed any light? I will of course arrange a visit at them all too!

OP’s posts: |
TheFrendo Sat 18-Nov-17 13:14:59

We live further out than Hathersage, in the Hope Valley, we chose Hope Valley College for secondary. HVC does not have a VIth form so students have to decide where to go. Silverdale, Ecgberts and Tapton are all very good.

It is a good area to move to for schools.

scrabble1 Mon 20-Nov-17 14:37:51

Girls High is excellent. Be cautious of King Edwards

justsomeone1 Mon 20-Nov-17 21:01:22

Silverdale is getting great results , tapton I believe is leading but if your peaks way it’s quite a trek.

I know silverdale head. Nice lady

Dadto4munchkins Mon 12-Mar-18 10:50:58

SHS is excellent , really really good. I have friends with children at Tapton and they say Tapton is excellent, Silverdale is always spoken of highly. Lady Manners is not the school it was in the 1990's and 2000's, I advise avoiding its 6th form

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in