Talk

Advanced search

Appealing an exam result.

(7 Posts)
JustineFB Wed 08-Nov-17 22:29:18

My daughter spent two years completing her course work for a computer studies GCSE taken in June this year. As is the practice, her teacher assessed this work and gave it a grade. A select number of students course work (which did not include our daughters) was then sent off for moderation, and the moderator deducted 17 marks from every student in the class. The moderator gave the rational for the deduction as being that the previous assessed scores, completed by the teacher, had been marked too generously. The school advised us we that there was nothing for us to worry about as they were sending all of the course work off for marking. They also told us as a result there was “Nothing we had to do” This sending of only a sample amount of work is apparently the process when numbers in the class are over a certain quota. We were therefore of the opinion that all was in hand. We then received the devastating news that the school had decided not to appeal. The school accept they failed to provide us with any information, but are refusing to contact the exam board and we are now beyond any appeal timeframe. This is a subject our daughter wants to study further, and whilst I am incredibly proud of the grade she achieved, I know that it is not her grade as her work has never been seen. If I could get her work looked at I know her grade would increase. Is this not a business area we are supposed to be encouraging young girls into!? I have always taught my daughter that if she works hard at her study, the grades will come. Well apparently not. Now the case seems to be - If she works hard, her work will be ignored, and she will have marks deducted with no basis at all. Has anyone any experience of anything similar, how did you resolve it, how can I get the school or exam board to assess her work now that we are outside of appeal deadlines. Help!

TheFallenMadonna Wed 08-Nov-17 22:58:00

Controlled assessment moderation is a whole entry appeal. It can't be one candidate. And unfortunately the appeals procedure is finished and certificates issued.

titchy Thu 09-Nov-17 07:11:39

Move on. Sorry. That's the problem with controlled assessment and one reason exams are moving to linear.

A rogue GCSE result is unlikely to have life changing consequences.

Wolfiefan Thu 09-Nov-17 07:15:26

I'm sorry but you don't. Work should have been moderated in the school to ensure that all pieces given the same grade were of the same standard. The board will have recalled enough pieces of work to decide how much the school had overmarked the whole cohort. Unfortunately her new grade is the one she actually achieved.

AnguaResurgam Thu 09-Nov-17 07:26:00

Has the school accepted her on to a Comp Sci A level? And is she doing maths/FM?

Because the GCSE grade won't matter in the long run, but if she is serious about a career in computing then she needs maths A level.

The new spec Comp Sci A level appears to be gathering a good reputation, but maths remains the key A level for the time being.

Chapwithwings Thu 09-Nov-17 09:07:25

We had a similar issue with my Daughter's Art GCSE this year. Fortunately, the school was so put out by the resulting downgrading that they did, in fact, lodge a successful whole entry appeal. Unfortunately it's far to late to do anything about it now.

However, as has already been said, if your daughter has been accepted onto the A Level then it doesn't really matter outside of her own disappointment of course

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 09-Nov-17 13:03:02

A local school had this issue with their English a couple of years back and no one ended up with more than a B that year - entirely down to the school over marking the controlled assessment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now