Talk

Advanced search

Is a grade 4 still a pass in 2018 GCSE's

(8 Posts)
Hopeful646 Wed 08-Nov-17 16:25:56

Can anyone confirm whether a grade 4 in next years Maths and English GCSEs will still be classed as a pass and therefore not require a resit at college ? Thanks

noblegiraffe Wed 08-Nov-17 16:28:52

Yes. The DfE announced in about March that a 4 was now a ‘standard pass’ and they would never ask 4s to resit in Y12 (colleges may have their own rules). 5 is now called a strong pass.

Hopeful646 Wed 08-Nov-17 16:34:28

Thank you . My DS Maths teacher has told them all it’s going to be a grade 5 next year , maybe she’s not aware of the changes in March by DofE. Just keeping everything crossed for a grade 4 in Maths .

noblegiraffe Wed 08-Nov-17 17:58:12

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of teachers missed the announcement, they made it deliberately the day before Article 50 was triggered to try to bury it...

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Wed 08-Nov-17 18:01:34

We've been advised in our HE establishment that we will continue to count a grade 4 as a pass for the compulsory English and Maths. I wonder if the teacher's comment was about the school league tables? I don't know what counts for them.

ChoudeBruxelles Wed 08-Nov-17 18:03:11

It’s equival to a low C. Many colleges are asking for a 5 to do a levels near me but a 4 is a pass

Hopeful646 Thu 09-Nov-17 07:02:37

Thanks for your replies , have checked with the college DS wants to go to and they are happy with grade 4’s. He’s doing btec not A levels hopefully.

Soursprout Thu 09-Nov-17 08:34:49

Dd has also had this message from teachers. I think it is more that the school bombed last summer and they are v worried about their league table standing .They managed to get a lot through at a 4 but number of 5s (or above) was v low. They were already running themselves ragged on those c/d kids now it’s 3/4 students AND 4/5 students
Dd is a 7/8 student so she’s kinda now just getting verbal instructions on how to teach herself at home. <<shrugs>>It’s how it is

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: