Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stressing over GCSE mocks - me, not dc!

(5 Posts)
Petalflowers Tue 07-Nov-17 16:20:39

Dc has GCSE mocks, starting on Friday.

He's fairly bright and is predicted 6s across the subjects, with some subjects slightly higher. He needs an average 6 to stay at his current school for six form.

However, just done some mock science papers, and he scored approx 30% in biology and chemistry. Didn't bother to mark Physics, as I was so disappointed in him. Some questions he left blank, 'because I need to,spend more time revising electrolysis'. however there's no,urgency to do the revision.

I've sat down at the beginning of this revision period with him and discussed revision timetables, we have a huge pile,of revision books (gathering dust) so I'm not sure what more I can do. Half of me feel I should let him do,what he wants and let him face the consequences. However, we did that last summer, and he promised he would do more, but there's no change in his mindset. I don't want to be a tiger mother either. Consequently, I tried to do a happy medium.

DC is'one full of excuses. I only got x% in my end of unit test because... or that was average for the class.

Sorry, feeling rant-y and disappointed and worried, and guilty because I've just shouted at dc again, and don't want to put the pressure on him (mental health is more important then grades etc...), but at the same time, do want to,the pressure on him, so his mindset regarding revision improves.

Sorry, long post. Is it too early for wine?!

claraschu Tue 07-Nov-17 17:34:05

Didn't want to leave your post unanswered, as we have lots of GCSE anxiety brewing around here too, so I do sympathise!

What I was wondering is why is he doing mocks now? Don't they do those in January/ February? He won't have covered the whole course yet, so lots of questions will be unknown territory.

Part of my daughter's problem is that she is getting so much homework that she doesn't have time to revise during the week, and is so fed up by the weekend that she really needs one day off, and then spends all day Sunday on homework again. I worry that she is just barely keeping up, with no time to go over things and study the confusing bits.

Oddsocks15 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:03:50

Petalflowers my DD is doing mocks this week, she won’t get results for a couple of week. Have no idea how she is getting on as only get one word conversations hmm

Pop over the GCSE 2018 thread, lots of advice

TeenTimesTwo Tue 07-Nov-17 19:09:32

When you say 'discussed revision timetables' do you mean you chatted about how important it was to do one, or that you talked about how to create one, helped if necessary, and at least looked over the one he created to ensure it was in depth enough and sensible? He might need more hand holding than you think.

Personally I think GCSEs are too important to let a child drift if you can find a way to help steer them through.

Some suggestions:
- put a copy of revision timetable up somewhere visible to you
- ask him how a session has gone
- offer / insist on testing him
- check most revision is active with something to show for it, and ask to see the output

Hopefully you won't need to do what I had to with my DD1 who has dyspraxia which is do 90% of the revision 1-1 with her.

However, if he can't revise effectively by the end of the GCSEs you may wish to rethink plans for 6th form as you can't hand hold him all through A levels!

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 07-Nov-17 21:30:33

Most state schools do mocks around now to be able to provide predicted grades for sixth form applications. Independents tend to do them after Christmas in January/February as they tend to assume people will stay on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now